LegacyGT.com

12V portable media player w/ vid out and USB input?

CasopoliS

I am looking for a media player with composite out, and USB input. It would have a menu system on it to allow you to scroll through all the stuff on the thumb drive. Ideally it would play mp3s and AVI / DIVX files. I am mostly interested in playing movies through it. Its probably not safe to scroll through all my mp3s while driving, I will probably just end up putting mp3s on disk and playing through the factory HU.

I have a 8GB thumb drive already with tons of media on it. I would love to find a portable player I can plug this into. Then I want to plug the portable player into the video in on my NAV unit. Hopefully it would come with a remote to control it and get through the menus, etc.]

Any help or recommendations?

There's someone selling an AVOX unit in the member classifieds, but it doesn't accept a thumb drive. I have one, and if you're really only interested in movies, it's a great choice, as it is just a few remote clicks to get a movie going. For MP3's it's not the best....as choosing mp3's can be tedious.

Just found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTABLE-CAR-HDD-MEDIA-PLAYER-SATA-IDE-DIVX-USB-READER_W0QQitemZ150343485780QQihZ005QQcategoryZ158817QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It appears to have a USB input for external Hard Drives. Not sure about the quality though....

Another product that is somewhat similar.... again hit or miss with the quality or interface.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-SATA-CAR-HARD-DISK-DIVX-RMVB-HDD-MP-FM-Media-Player_W0QQitemZ190299187007QQihZ009QQcategoryZ48605QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure of the interface with either of those. The AVOX has a great interface, and has a built in HDD (upgradable by the way to larger sizes).

Those look rather cheap, but I don't know first hand.

This is a better alternative in my opinion. While it doesn't come with a external HDD, I hear the interface is excellent.

Yea but it looks more like its designed for the home. I guess I don't care too much about the interface, as long as it plays video well and handles the files appropriately. I am just looking for an alternative to a small DVD player because what is the point these days when everything is digital. I don't want to shuffle around disks or anything.

I hear ya. I wish they had video of the interface on the screen on the two you linked to above....it would make deciding a little easier IMO.

EDIT---forgot to add, that the biggest problem I have with mine, is I can't find a damn Infared Remote extender for it. I keep the HDD in the center cubby armrest, and it's next to impossible to use the remote there. But if you're primarily using it for movies, you shouldn't have much of an issue. I did try to make my own IR extender, but it didn't work.

Archived