LegacyGT.com

Keys bang against plastic...

Driver72

steering wheel column cover...anybody got a fix?

To clarify, when driving and going over any bump of any kind, my

keys hanging from the key change swing and smack against the steering column

and give me that clack, clack, clack sound all the time.

This happened in my Toyota Tacoma too, and I put some ugly window foam below the ignition to stop it, but I don't want such an ugly fix on my LGT.

Does this bother anybody else, and if so, what's the best solution?

Obviously it's going to have to be some kind of soft padding, but if

anybody knows of a good, thin, all black type pad that isn't too noticeable, let me know. This has driven me crazy since day one, and it's time to solve the problem.

Thanks

Hmmm... bothers me too... AND I had the same problem on my Tacoma. The only thing that I can think of would be to put some less ugly padding there. I mean, you could probably find something in black that wouldn't look to bad that may just velcrow right on there... If you think of anything more creative let us know!

I don't have that problem My key ring is pretty long too. I've got one of those connecter pieces that you squeeze and detach half the keys. Maybe something like that is the solution. Get your keys to hang below the column where they are banging. I can't find an exact picture of it, but imagine something like this...

http://charmncandybouquet.com/A_Better_Way_Charms/images/Laser%20Charms/Copy_of_KeyRing.jpg

You put your ignition key and your remote on one end and the rest of your keys on the other. It works for me.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yes, OCD, that probably would solve the problem, but then I'd have a huge long

key chain that I have to carry around in my pocket.

But warnoldscu, I think you might have something....velcro.

I'm thinking it might be enough just to put a small piece velcro there.

Or maybe I'll just have to look into 1/16th of an inch weather stripping foam.

It would only need to be a one inch long piece, and if it's black, it might not

look ugly at all.

But I'm still open for suggestions.

I'm not sure you all understood the keychain I linked to earlier, so I've attached a quick couple pics. It has worked really well for me. I gets rid of the problem of the keys swinging and making noise. It is also nice to have the rest of the keys separate in case you have to say run back into the house or I can leave the car on ACC to leave the radio going when I have passangers at the gas station and need my Mobile speed pay thingy. Best of all I don't have to modify the car at all (I've yet to see it done, but I'm thinking foam or velcro might not look so hot).

Keys1.jpg.f7ae2529d7e6f256bb13bd5193a7fae8.jpg

Keys2.jpg.1043839e58368e7814c3cacdcfbf3699.jpg

.o0O0o.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I'm not sure you all understood the keychain I linked to earlier, so I've attached a quick couple pics. It has worked really well for me. I gets rid of the problem of the keys swinging and making noise. It is also nice to have the rest of the keys separate in case you have to say run back into the house or I can leave the car on ACC to leave the radio going when I have passangers at the gas station and need my Mobile speed pay thingy. Best of all I don't have to modify the car at all (I've yet to see it done, but I'm thinking foam or velcro might not look so hot).

Thanks- the detatchable keychain was way beyond my comprehension :lol:

I say turn the stereo up and if you have that many key, get rid of some. A lot of women carry tons of keys around, but we don't use purses.

Thanks- the detatchable keychain was way beyond my comprehension :lol:

I say turn the stereo up and if you have that many key, get rid of some. A lot of women carry tons of keys around, but we don't use purses.

Well I had to wonder, I suggested it and people still seemed to want to wrap their steering collums in packing material! :lol: I'm an engineer, so I'd rather try to eliminate the proplem at the source than try to cover it up :D

.o0O0o.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Well I had to wonder, I suggested it and people still seemed to want to wrap their steering collums in packing material! :lol: I'm an engineer, so I'd rather try to eliminate the proplem at the source than try to cover it up :D

Hehehe- you're definitely an engineer- add another part to the thing to see if that fixes it :lol: What kinds of trains do you drive? :lol: I couldn't stand one of those kinds of key thingies myself- just having to pull it apart and put it back together every time I started the car would be enough to make me throw it away.

My key is a triangular unit, asymmetric, with the ring attached to the long corner on the end. Its a bugger to get in the lock no matter which way you insert it, as the lock is too close to the dash, and almost parallel to it, rather than slanted back.

Very bad ergonomics IMHO.

jp

Archived