LegacyGT.com

Help Please: ABS Problems!

mtnsubie

My car: 1996 Legacy LSi Wagon, 78k miles, well-taken care of.

Another one of those intermittent problems that unless I happen to be near a dealer when it happens, it might be very difficult to get diagnosed.

At intermittent times, no pattern to when it occurs, the ABS light comes on and the ABS sensor (I think that's what it is) starts making a noise, like there's a motor running inside it. It continues even after I turn the ignition off. It only stops when I disconnect the battery. Then it might be okay for a week, a month, then it happens again. It's starting to occur more frequently now too.

Is it time for a new ABS sensor? Or could it be a switch or relay somewhere that's making something in it start. Is this a pump inside? I dont want to be caught in an emergency with no ABS.

Help, please!

• 2 months later...

I have no idea. I'd expect some intermittent short, and start looking for a loose wire. But it's probably not that simple.

Until you get it diagnosed, I'd suggest pulling the ABS fuse. Better no ABS than no brakes at all.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Archived