LegacyGT.com

Re: I need help... $tealership is looming over my wallet

HarryN

Hey All,

First off, I consider this forum one of the best places to get advice when it comes to the Subaru Legacy. Second, I did a search for "Wing" on this forum before making this new thread. So here it goes:

Exhibit A:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l35/bgraysierra/Legacy/suberjew006.jpg

As you see in Exhibit A, this beautiful Liberty GT has a wing that I have been trying to get for my 2009 Legacy GT. I have searched the Marketplace on these forums and did not see anyone selling this style wing in Quartz Silver. I went to the $tealership yesterday and got a quote for $350 for the painted wing. It was going to be another $200 for them to install it using the template which makes the process completely trivial to mount (thus leaving me scratching my head on why they charge so much).

Then a friend advised going aftermarket for this wing and saving hundreds of dollars and still get the same look. So, with a knee jerk reaction, I went to Egay. I saw a ton of listings selling this exact type of wing anywhere from $65 to $110. But they only give the color code (I do not know what the code is for Quartz Silver) so I am left scratching my head on that part. Then it dawned on me, how do I know these wings will be a direct fit? How do I know that these wings are quality wings and won't have paint chip off 3 or 4 years later? Better yet, a year later?

I come to you guys hoping that someone knows a reputable seller that I can give money to and have this exact wing (shown in Exhibit A) on my car. I will take my car to an independant shop and have them install it since the labor rates will undoubtedly be a lot better than the $tealership. Is there anything I should be looking for? A seller on Egay people have dealt with and had no problems? A company you guys recommend in getting this exact wing for cheaper and hopefully painted with quality paint?

Thanks in advance!

-Harry

The color code for Quartz Silver is A7K.

I'm pretty sure that's the standard Subaru spoiler for the 2005-2007 models. You can get it from Subarugenuineparts for $311 pre-painted, but not in Quartz Silver (and it does specify 2005-2007, though I don't think anything changed as far as the shape of the trunk lid).

I don't have any experience with the Ebay wings.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

The trunk has not changed, at least aesthetically from what I can tell from my friend's LGT and mine.

The $300 price tag is what I am trying to avoid if I can help it. And from what I gathered from the parts department, the Quartz Silver color is offered for a pre-painted wing. Their parts listing, from what he showed me on his screen, labeled the wing as 2005 - 2008.

Thanks Scoobie and everyone! :)

I am hoping a person that lives in Bel Air stil has the wing for sale at a reasonable price since he stated that the wing's paint is "ok".

Now, the next question I have is, since my car did not come with the wing from the factory, what added accessories/wire harness will I require to get the wing mounted and functional? Would it be ok if I used double sided tape to hold the wing down instead of drilling my trunk?

Thanks!!

You need to drill it, no matter what, unless you want it to fly off your car!

You can tap into one of the brake power lights if there is not already a connection for it.

GL

X

---

You need to drill it, no matter what, unless you want it to fly off your car!

You can tap into one of the brake power lights if there is not already a connection for it.

GL

X

Ahh ok. Well the next question I have is where can I get instructions on mounting the wing and connecting the brake light? I can do the soldering and connections for the brake light. But I need to know what to connect to where, and also get an idea of what the wing template looks like, like the ones they use at stealerships when they mount wings for customer cars.

Thanks again everyone, for your help! :)

Try Fredsbeans. FWIW, the install is a PITA. First, take the plastic clips twords the front of the car and remove them. Second, the spoiler has metal cables that attach to the trunk hinges to hold it in place in the event of an accident. These require rather large holes in the decklid, in addition to the holes for the threaded retainers. Have fun, I did mine with no install instructions or template.

Yep, I did the same with my install as well. I bought the wing from a member here for only $40. Absolutely great person. I met him at his place along with my friend to see what else he had for sale.

Suffice to say, the wing was in excellent shape. My friend even ended up with free XO2 cans for his car!

I installed the wing without a template and got the holes dead on. However, my dad and I didn't spot one booboo. The bolts on the right side of the wing were ever so slightly bent downward. So now the wing is 1mm (exactly) sitting upward on the right side of the car. You would never see it, even if you look up close. But if you have a measuring device, and measure both sides, then you would spot it. It's wierd. My friend was fooled by the install and thought it was done perfect until I pointed it out. But I cannot blame this on the guy. He told me that the body shop that worked on his car previous pulled the wing out and slopped it into his trunk. So he did forewarn me. I plan on doing business with this guy again.

I did create a template of my own for the wing install. I am also very much interested in sharing the template with others on the forums if they are interested. It sucks that I could not get a template from the dealer, after I plopped down 30K for a car. But C'est La Vis.

Try Fredsbeans. FWIW, the install is a PITA. First, take the plastic clips twords the front of the car and remove them. Second, the spoiler has metal cables that attach to the trunk hinges to hold it in place in the event of an accident. These require rather large holes in the decklid, in addition to the holes for the threaded retainers. Have fun, I did mine with no install instructions or template.

The holes for the plastic clips are 8mm. The holes for the two bolts are 10mm. The holes for the string and brake light wire are 21mm. :) I managed to find and download the instructions for the wing install. I wouldn't mind sharing this with people either.

Archived