LegacyGT.com

A-Pillar Tweeter Install

datrumole

Has anyone attempted an A-pillar tweeter install in a 05 LGT? If so, how was it getting the wiring to there? Was there enought space behind the pillar to get the tweeter in there on a flush mount, or did you have to use a surface?

Any help or pics in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you'd have to fabricate something to hold the tweeter and make it blend with the a pillar. I know ppl have done it with A pillar cubby pods, but they have to make special pods to hold the gauges.

As for the space for wiring, no biggie, there's plenty of room for wires.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

you'll have to fiberglass them to make them flush.. our pillars have an odd contour.. of course you probably don't need to go as far as i did depending on the tweeter

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/frkkevin/suede/IMG_0996.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/frkkevin/suede/IMG_0943.jpg

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

frkkevin, My staging is almost near perfect with the stock location. The A-pillar isn't much better, as you're only adding inches.

The trick? 2nd order high pass filter at 6.5kHz for the tweeter. :)

The caveat is that you need woofers that have a natural -3dB rolloff at 6.5kHz. (Boston Z6 woofers will do this)

well i forgot to mention i was after height/depth as well.. don't get much of that from the door location.. i don't see the staging be far on the windshield but more so hovering around a central location under the map lights maybe should level

i'd have to hear it to really know so i can't say its not

all i know is it didn't work for me.. even using time alignment.. sometimes adding a few inches is all it takes.. install is key

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

frkkevin, what speakers did you use? I use time alignment, and with a lower crossover point (4-4.5KHz) the stock door location didn't work nearly as well. The way I got it to sound good was to make custom crossovers.

I have to agree with ean611, the stock location is fine. I don't see the benefit of increasing the distance between the tweeters and the woofer. Generally, the more distance you have between highs and lows the more separated the sound becomes (hence the increase in the time alignment), but why make it more difficult than it has to be? Did you try your aftermarket tweeters in the stock location before choosing the A-pillar location?

well, i should start off saying i'm going to be using an active system this time around, mainly because my sister used my car a few times and my stereo was tuned to go no louder than 64 (of 80) and she was listening to it at 75....so the resistors on the crossovers are pretty much cracking apart, and i dont know how much longer they got...my cd 7200mk should be here shortly....

i'm using a CDT 62HD's, and recently bought another tweeter to add to this system. my goal was to mount the main tweeter down where the midbass is gonna go (in the grill, but if you notice there is like the circle cutout then more grill but filled in, there) and i wanted to bring the sound stage up so i was hoping to get into the pillars. My main gripes with the stock locations is that it wont paint a solid front stage, you need to have them out in front of you projecting off the windshield. also, i'm assuming i could enclose them, but i did notice that with the stock tweets if you roll the windows down, you lose all sorts of sound for whatever reason (probably because they are set way back in there...)

It looks like you've got a DLS midrange driver up in the pillars, i dont think i need that much clearance for a 1' silk, i wonder if i'll be able to get away with not having to fiberglass anything

Archived