LegacyGT.com

05 OB 2.5i Secuirty Upgrade Option?

Celt943

Does anyone know if this upgrade is the vehicle immobilizer? My new outback came with the security upgrade as an option, but the the 3 keys that I got only have one chipped key. The other 2 are the flat metal keys that the manual says should be for the non-imobilizer equipped cars. Now when I shut the car off and close the doors, the security light flashes and I get the "Chirp" and I've followed the manual directions and the car says that the alarm system is on "al ON". But I can't figure out why the NON_CHIPPED keys start the car. Any Ideas before I call the dealer? :confused:

??

All my keys are the standard big and chunky keys - with a chip in all of them. I got one that's slightly different which is the master key. The chip inside the key is the "immobilizer". I think the "security upgrade" option that the dealers/booklet/web offers is a proximity add-on feature.

straight flat metal keys like you get at the hardware store? weird. Almost no new car does that anymore.

hope that helps.

??

All my keys are the standard big and chunky keys - with a chip in all of them. I got one that's slightly different which is the master key. The chip inside the key is the "immobilizer". I think the "security upgrade" option that the dealers/booklet/web offers is a proximity add-on feature.

Mine are exactly the same as almondcookie's, 3 big chunky keys (including the valet key which is just slightly smaller). The security "upgrade" adds the proximity alarm to the system, but not the immobilizer. The immobilizer system works only with the chip imbedded in the key.

Is your OB a 2.5i Ltd or standard model? I'm not sure whether the immobilizer feature comes in all models or only in the limited models. I'll pull out the manual tonight and read up on it.

Anyone else have some specific knowledge on this?

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The perimeter upgrade is just that, an upgrade to the existing alarm system which I honestly have yet to figure what good it is besides a discount on your insurance. The upgrade is a shock sensor / glass break. There are only certain cars that come standard with the engine immobilizers.

OTBK XT

LEG GT

FOR XT

IMP STi

You cannot add it at a later date.

Archived