LegacyGT.com

What makes the 09 radios different?

BAC5.2

Obviously, the Harmon Kardon stereo is different.

But what makes it different? Was there an actual headunit change between the old radios and the new ones?

I ask because I am going to find out if the 6-disc headunit (the auto-HVAC unit) can swap into a single-disc car (with manual HVAC).

The donor radio is from an 08 H6, and I've got an 09.

Ideas? Input?

I know no one has done this swap before, but as much info as possible would be great! Wiring diagrams for both cars would be fantastic!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Firstly, you cannot swap auto-HVAC into a manual HVAC car.

Secondly, the "HK" head unit, is anything but. It's still a Panasonic unit with speaker level outs like the previous years.

Bottom line, why would you want to do this? You have manual HVAC, you can get a kit from Crutchfield (or anywhere for that matter), and get a better aftermarket HU if that's what you want.

If you want to keep the HK thing, (as there are custom settings for it in your factory amp), you can't change anything.

I realize not being able to swap auto-HVAC into a manual HVAC car. That isn't what I am trying to do. The 6-disc changer ONLY came in the auto-HVAC cars. I want the 6-disc changer in my manual HVAC car.

Instead, I am trying to get an OEM 6-disc changer into my single-disc car. The whole point is that I do not want an aftermarket HU. I'd rather keep it stock looking.

I thought the HK system used an amp under the seat?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Again, this I realize.

Despite this, I am STILL going to try. I don't mind cutting a small hole for the "load" button, and I don't mind looking at the PCB board and seeing what needs to be removed to de-integrate the HVAC control.

I don't anticipate it to be TOO difficult, so as long as the headunits are functionally identical between the two model years, then I should be good to go.

The manual HVAC vs automatic is significantly different. There is no way to de-integrate the HVAC from the radio. I say this as someone who has spent a lot of time modding the factory radio, and has a single DIN radio where my OEM radio used to be, along with my automatic HVAC controls.

• 3 weeks later...
I ordered the Dash kit (NOT the cubby kit) from Crutchfield 2day, wanted to know, which Subaru harness I should use for the aftermarket receiver. I have manual A/C with the Harman Kardon Amp/Sub. Don't want to use factory sub anymore.

I ordered the Dash kit (NOT the cubby kit) from Crutchfield 2day, wanted to know, which Subaru harness I should use for the aftermarket receiver. I have manual A/C with the Harman Kardon Amp/Sub. Don't want to use factory sub anymore.

[edited my original reply, moved to 2.5 Stick's other thread here]

'08 and '09 still use the same older-style 14-pin connector for speakers and power as previous Subarus.

In the H/K system, the HU's 4 speaker outputs go to the H/K amp. The amp drives all of the car's speakers and subs (6 separate speaker outputs for the four doors and two tweeters, plus 2 outputs for the sub [the sedan's sub uses only 1 of the 2, the wagon's sub uses both]). There's no line-level umbilical between the HU and amp like on the McIntosh system.

The H/K amp connects to the speakers via two new connectors. So if you're going to ditch the H/K amp, you'll either need to splice into the factory speaker wires somewhere between the amp and the speakers, or wait for one of the harness companies to release an amp bypass harness.

That is exactly the kind of info I wanted. So the HK amp can be used with an aftermarket headunit?

[edited my original reply, moved to 2.5 Stick's other thread here]

'08 and '09 still use the same older-style 14-pin connector for speakers and power as previous Subarus.

In the H/K system, the HU's 4 speaker outputs go to the H/K amp. The amp drives all of the car's speakers and subs (6 separate speaker outputs for the four doors and two tweeters, plus 2 outputs for the sub [the sedan's sub uses only 1 of the 2, the wagon's sub uses both]). There's no line-level umbilical between the HU and amp like on the McIntosh system.

The H/K amp connects to the speakers via two new connectors. So if you're going to ditch the H/K amp, you'll either need to splice into the factory speaker wires somewhere between the amp and the speakers, or wait for one of the harness companies to release an amp bypass harness.

So the HK amp can be used with an aftermarket headunit?

Yes. Just feed it the HU's four speaker outputs.

HK probably custom-tailored the amp's EQ for the stock HU's, so no telling how good it will sound. I wonder if there are any knobs inside the amp.

Yes. Just feed it the HU's four speaker outputs.

HK probably custom-tailored the amp's EQ for the stock HU's, so no telling how good it will sound. I wonder if there are any knobs inside the amp.

I understand non-HK headunits do some EQ stuff that's volume dependent. Is it reasonable to think the HK unit doesn't do that? In other words, would the HK headunit be a better match to an aftermarket amp?

Anyone knows?

H/K Unit is heavy DSP & EQ w/ volume. Sounds very high quality and "echoey" - but I just am used to more Volume so thats why i'm changing the system. FM radio output is very low, but AUX and CD output is clear and loud and bass can be heard from outside from a distance even.

• 1 month later...
I understand non-HK headunits do some EQ stuff that's volume dependent. Is it reasonable to think the HK unit doesn't do that? In other words, would the HK headunit be a better match to an aftermarket amp?

Anyone knows?

The Head unit is not Harman Kardon - it's stock. The "premium" portion of the HK premium system is just the amp and the speakers.

I want the answer to the opposite of your question, would an aftermarket (or rather JL Cleansweep-ed stock) head unit be a better match to the Harman Kardon Amp and speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived