LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT wheel paint, corrosion

Muleski

I've searched this topic, and understand that at least some of the original 2005 LGT wheels were prone to corrosion, and replaced in some cases under warranty. We're probably past that point in time, now. I bought my LGT in the fall of 2007. I've used the stock wheels as my winter wheels. I just swapped my summer wheels back on, and noticed that on all of the stock wheels, I have a very small amount of corrosion around the center cap. I'm not metallurgist but I'm guessing that there's some reaction between the two metals.

At any rate, has anybody sourced any touch-up paint that matches the original wheel color reasonably well? I haven't found any suggestions. Anybody done this, and have any recommendations? It's infortunate, as the wheels are otherwise perfect. Not a scratch, or any rash. Four plus years after the delivery date, I think it's my problem, not a warranty issue. Thanks for any suggestions on the paint.

Definitely your (and my) problem. Mine are the exact same way, only around the center caps. I haven't decided yet whether to just ignore it or sand and paint them gunmetal. I'll likely paint them when I get around to it. It's on the neverending list of things to do, lol.

I don't mind sanding, priming and painting that center of the wheel, even if I have to do it every couple of years to stay ahead of it. I figure that a warranty claim at this point is so bogus to be laughable. And as mentioned, the rest of the wheels are mint, so I'm not going to repaint or powdercoat them all. SO......any hints on the paint color or source would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Archived