LegacyGT.com

Hard vibration in steering wheel, brakes done?

tommboy

There is a hard vibration in my steering wheel when I brake, does this mean the pads are shot or the brakes itself? I have a 2008 legacy gt with 30k miles on it and wondering if it's covered under warranty.

I'm getting this with my 2008 Legacy GT as well and it only has 5900 miles on it.

It feel as if the rotors are warped and there is also something else wrong because I can hear a metallic clicking and scratching only associated with something that is rotating or close to something rotating (ie. front brake assembly).

Probably just pad deposits. Do some 30->5 mph under moderate braking then a couple of 60->5 mph with increasing pressure 4 or 5 times. Then let the brakes cool naturally by driving around. If you need to stop for a light or whatever, use as little brake pressure (or no brakes at all if it's level) as possible to hold the car.

See if that fixes your problem.

Probably just pad deposits. Do some 30->5 mph under moderate braking then a couple of 60->5 mph with increasing pressure 4 or 5 times. Then let the brakes cool naturally by driving around. If you need to stop for a light or whatever, use as little brake pressure (or no brakes at all if it's level) as possible to hold the car.

See if that fixes your problem.

It's important that when you're doing this that you don't come to a complete stop.

Also to note: if the stock 08 pads are anything like the stock 05 pads, they suck under any sort of hard braking and you should replace them or else you'll run the risk of getting the vibration again and ruining your rotors.

Archived