LegacyGT.com

Yet ANOTHER swaybar thread . . . I know.

dowright82

So I've had 2 (yes two) WRX's in the past 4 years and both of them I had Perrin sways on . . .

Loved them and had no complaints . . .

First 2004 - I had a 22mm Rear Adj - put it on medium and left it

2nd 2006 - Got into Autox - had a 25mm front on medium and a 22mm Rear on Hard.

Now I'm about to pull trigger on some Perrin Sways for The LGT and can't decide whether to go 25F 25R or maybe just 22F and 22R - or even 25f and 22r

I've of course read all there is to read - and I DO PLAN ON PUTTING BILSTEINS AND RALLITEK/PINKS on this summer . . . so OPINIONS??

If you are going to AutoX the LGT sounds like 25f and 22r would be the way to go.

I have Bilstein HDs and STi pinks on my LGT and am happy with Cusco 23f and 21r sways +AVO rear reinforcement brackets.

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

Understeer may still continue to be an issue with 25f and 25r. What summer tires will you be running? Are you planning to upgrade any other parts of your suspension, eg. lower control arms or LCA bushings? roll centre kit? end links? additional under body braces?

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

right now I'm thinking only bilstein hds, rallitek/pinks, sways, endlinks, group-n pitch stopper.

i feel like those are the most primary, and cost effective choices, bushings etc are all secondary - to me at this point.

bump - really wanna order some sways, but can't make up my mind - I've got 22F and 25R on hold right now with JSC Speed - would really appreciate any info or opinions . .

Now i'm thinking I should just save my money and buy bilsteins/rallitek springs FIRST and THEN decide on sways . . . . .

I have 22's front and rear. I recomend 25 in front and 22 in the rear. The 25 is 215% stiffer than stock on soft and 255% or so than stock. The 22 is only 125% and 150ish%.

With my 22 front bar on stiff I still get considerable lean/roll from the front. The rear 22 is on soft and it keeps the back pretty flat.

I went the route of Konis + STi Pinks on my wagon first w/Group N Front Tops. Then I upgraded all my bushings and whiteline sways F/R w/Kartboy end links.

I'd do the springs/struts first then the sways.

-mike

I agree with Mike. I went a similar route to Mike but kept the stock springs and later added a JDM 20mm rear sway bar and just added camber bolts to get a little more negative camber. I would say that the biggest improvement in overall handling was putting Konis on. The car was not easily upset under hard cornering even when bumps were introduced, the car rides very well over bumpy pavement and railroad tracks, in fact my wife even commented on the improvement. When I added the rear sway bar much of my body roll went away. I went with the JDM rear sway bar because I still wanted understeer, I know many of you might think I'm crazy but for a car that will never see the track its a safe set-up for highway use and its what I'm used to. The other reason why I went with JDM bar was to keep the suspension fairly independent. There are a few comments on the sway bar strings that as they increased the bar size they lost ride quality over bumps. Michigan roads are really bad and I live in a town where I cross railraod tracks every day so a set of stiff bars wouldn't work for me either. After installing the JDM bar I tuned the Konis to the new set up.

• 3 weeks later...

So I ended up getting a Perrin 25mm Front and Perrin 22mm Rear.

I currently am on stock struts/springs - I have the front on SOFT and Rear on MEDIUM.

My god its lovely. Absolutely PERFECT - of course I'm sure I'll adjust them once I go Bilsteins + Pinks.

If you're debating sways or not . . . JUST DO IT. You won't be sorry -

22s F & R here, set on hard with stock endlinks (aftermarket ones are in the shed until I grenade the stockers) and Spec B Bilsteins and S-Techs.

Body roll could be improved, I still get too much. I'm not shelling $$ for 25mm ones tho. Do endlinks make a real difference?

:munch: thought about this same thing.

was gonna do perrin 25/25 with the upgrade end links.. but when I did my brakes I realized the rear sway now is actually a mcdonalds drink straw painted black.. so I think 22 will be a better idea to maintain a stiffer yet still stock behavior in aggressive driving.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have perrin 22 mm F&R with perrins endlinks. The front is on firm and the rear is on soft. It worked well for me in the autocross last month and was so much better than stock. The sway was about gone even with stock springs. Understeer is gone too. It surprised me on my first lap when I pushed the car too fast in a long sweaper and it went into a spin. It wasn't bad. The rear broke free and rotated forward so it was only a 90 degree spin. A more experienced driver could have made it into a 4 wheel drift.

I have the 25/25 Perrin Sways in my car.

I installed them last week and so far they're amazing. The rear reinforcement brackets were a PITA to put in. Everything else s great, I don't get that much oversteer, but it really depends on how you enter the corner too.

My vote is the 25/25. I wouldn't have done it any other way.

I like the stability the car has with the stock setup (:lol: no I mean as far as behavior.. horrible body roll aside) Wouldn't keeping a smaller sway in the rear help maintain that behavior? I have heard from several people that increasing the rear sway size encourages the rear to step out and try to come around.. not something I'd want in a tight curve..
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'd rather have it oversteer than understeer, because oversteer is more manageable to me. Plus, we have AWD, it'll pull us out of wicked oversteer without too much drama. With understeer one would just plow right into the wall/cliff.

• 2 weeks later...

The back end kinda tried to snap on me the other day because I turned in too hard. Strangely enough, my car, with stiffer/lower springs and stiffer shocks and bigger sways and 18" tires feels less planted than my buddy's stock 2005 A4 S-line (18" wheels as well, but 235 in width vs my 225). :(

At least, he had it chipped and it still feels painfully slow. :)

Archived