LegacyGT.com

e85 in Sacramento

Wang Lung

Getting really easy to find. At $1.99 per gallon, I'm considering a conversion.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the deal. You and I bought every FFV driven by every State employee who has one. I saw a number like 35,000 vehicles at one time.

Since there is nowhere to buy e85 for all these FFV's, you and I subsidize the cost of ethanol to the tune of a market price of $1.99. Surely, you didn't think that was the real price did you? And thirdly, since noone really wants to buy ethanol anyway, CARB gave $3,750,000 of your money to 29 gas stations in Northern California to install an e85 pump station.

And you want more incentive? Pay for it yourself.

Here's the deal. You and I bought every FFV driven by every State employee who has one. I saw a number like 35,000 vehicles at one time.

Since there is nowhere to buy e85 for all these FFV's, you and I subsidize the cost of ethanol to the tune of a market price of $1.99. Surely, you didn't think that was the real price did you? And thirdly, since noone really wants to buy ethanol anyway, CARB gave $3,750,000 of your money to 29 gas stations in Northern California to install an e85 pump station.

And you want more incentive? Pay for it yourself.

So, by all that you mean no? Ok thanks.

You don't save any money using E85. You will lose about 25% of your fuel economy, which really doesn't offset the cheaper gas.
Depends...

Here in Colorado the premium is 30% plus more than E-85. And, the mpg diffeence is more like 20%. So, you loose miles, but it costs less overall, is better for your engine, and you get the same performance as you would on 115 or so octane ;)

:spin:

Feh, I'm going to wait for the Scooby diesels to some to the States :)
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• 1 month later...
You don't save any money using E85. You will lose about 25% of your fuel economy, which really doesn't offset the cheaper gas.

I personally lose about 20% in mileage (less in all freeway driving), but with a price spread of about 23% locally versus premium I end up saving ~ 2 cents per mile running E85 in the summer. I take this 2 cents per mile as a bonus however, since ethanol is higly oxygenated and 105 octane equivalent, the extra 35 ft. lbs. of torque I get out of it is far more enjoyable than any cost savings.

Archived