LegacyGT.com

Fuel pump dying???

97 LGT 194k miles

I've been trying to track down a rattle for a long time now, and finally found the most probable cause: the fuel pump.

Rattle can be heard while the car is idling, and is irrespective of how much fuel is in the tank. It used to be sporadic, but is almost always there now.

I popped off the fuel pump/sending unit cover, and pulled the assembly today, but didn't notice anything obvious. The pump/sending unit assembly seemed to be solid, and nothing in the tank was loose that I could see, either.

After buttoning everything up and starting the car with the protective cover off (not the one the assembly attaches to), I noticed that the rattling seems to coincide with a noise that sounds almost like cavitation from the fuel pump. The electric whir from the pump motor is there. The only performance issue is a slight hesitation when I first give it gas from idle. Nothing else has changed.

Pump dying, vibrating against something inside the tank, other???

Thanks in advance for the help http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I pulled the whole assembly. Everything was solid. The noise seems to coincide with a the noise of the fuel pump. Not sure if it's the pump on the way out or something else I'm missing....

'15 FB25

Is it a vibration stopper or a vapor seal? Either way it's there. I need to get some one in the car with me to put an ear to it while I drive around. For now it's pretty damned loud while idling and I can notice it while coasting at low speeds. Still not sure if it's an idle vibration issue or an issue with the fuel pump itself...

'15 FB25

Archived