LegacyGT.com

Car won't run after fuel filter and plugs replaced

Hello Forum!

I'm driving a 96 Legacy (EJ22) with 115,000 miles.

I replaced my fuel filter, PCV valve, Spark plugs and wires yesterday and now my car wont run. I start it and it sputters for about 10 seconds then dies?

I tried this a couple of times and same thing. This was my first time doing plugs so maybe I fouled things up with them. I spaced the plugs to the proper width and didnt tighten them too hard when I put them in. I used NGK plugs and Duralast wires. Also one of the new wires was longer than the other 3 by 2 inches? and the overlength of the new wires are longer than the old ones.

Thanks - Chris

It's probably not starting because the fuel filter isn't full of fuel yet. Try this:

1. Turn key to 'on' position (without trying to start the car).

2. Wait 3-4 seconds while fuel pump pressurizes the system.

3. Turn key back to 'off' position.

Repeat that 3-4 times, then try to start the car.

So...I looked everything over again and noticed there was a hose not connected under the air intake tube. I attached the hose and Voila!! Car started up just fine and purrs like a kitten. I didnt see the hose last night and because it was hidden a little bit under the air intake tube and I was a little tired.

So...I looked everything over again and noticed there was a hose not connected under the air intake tube. I attached the hose and Voila!! Car started up just fine and purrs like a kitten.

I once had the exact same problem. Somehow I knocked that hose loose after checking the air filter. I'm glad I found it 'cause I would have felt really stupid if I had the car towed to a shop.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived