LegacyGT.com

went stage two, lower boost and funny sound under pressure

petefrommeat

over the weekend i put a new up pipe and down pipe on my 06, and went to the cobb stage 2 OTS w/LC. Car runs fine, not throwing codes or any stutter, actually runs smoother than before install running stage 1 and better gas mileage than economy mode. However, after doing a few pulls i noticed my boost was peaking and holding steady at 15.4-16.1 psi, when in stage 1 i had been hitting 17.5 regularly. Also, as soon as i hit boost, it sounds like someone put a rock in a can and is shaking it around.

now, my thoughts are since both the UP and DP are not catted, and the DP is a 3 inch pipe with a divorced wastegate, there is less restriction in and out of the turbo, hence the lower boost numbers. The shaking a rock in a can noise i am contributing to the heat shield which had to be chopped a little to fit, and is, infact, held in by one screw and one neatly trimmed and twisted ghettofabulous coat hanger.

Any input? did i manage to break something, or is my logic right and im just managing to scare myself?

i THINK its the heatshield. Instead of planning to do all of this as a normal person would, i walked into IAG, asked for the UP and DP, and went to my friends place after in Ellicott City. We got started about 9 pm friday, and finished around 6 saturday morning. At that point we were both exhausted, and while i was putting the skid protector back underneath, he was starting on the heat shield. Well, when i popped my head back up i saw him cutting at it with what looked like bush trimmers, and didnt question him. he either got one or two screws in, and then used a coat hanger as a tie down. so im not really sure what it is

I think the rock in a can noise you are hearing is your divorced wastegate DP (is it an Invidia?) taping you wastegate flapper... :(

More info Here :http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85295&highlight=invidia+noise

You will need to remove the DP and grind down the seperator on the DP- it is an easy fix, just a PITA to have to remove and install the DP again.

thanks a ton man, yes it is the invidia, and i knew that looked funny when i was looking at it right before install. but seeing asmy friend had put the same pipe on his wrx and had no problems, even after we did the vf30 swap, and lack of sleep, i really didnt question it. i did some observing with the AP and realized with was once i hit boost, and when my wastegate duty went above 60%. makes sense that as the arm was opening more it would hit that divorce in the pipe and mess with it.

Archived