LegacyGT.com

Play DVD on factory NAV screen

m_a_b

I have an 08 Spec.B with the factory NAV and after spending some time reading various posts, I understand that there is a composite video jack on the back of the unit that I can plug in a video source. However, I have a few questions.

1) where does the sound input go? Would I just need to do the aux audio thing?

2) I see that a lot of people use this vid input as a backup camera and that it automatically switches to it when in reverse. So does that mean that everytime I put it in reverse it would switch the screen to my dvd player?

3) How do I switch the unit to play the video and audio from the dvd?

4) If I was routing on the nav and played a dvd, would I still get the directions?

5) Finally, I am pretty familiar with building computers, so have thought about the carpc route. Am I thinking about it correctly that the hookups (video, audio, power) would be about the same for a carpc and a dvd player? All I would really want to do with the carpc is play dvd's, maybe keep an excel spreadsheet with my mileage and a few other things, keep my ap logs on it, and surf the web and kill time.

Answers in red in your quote.

I have an 08 Spec.B with the factory NAV and after spending some time reading various posts, I understand that there is a composite video jack on the back of the unit that I can plug in a video source. However, I have a few questions.

1) where does the sound input go? Would I just need to do the aux audio thing? Your sound goes through the AUX IN on the radio.

2) I see that a lot of people use this vid input as a backup camera and that it automatically switches to it when in reverse. So does that mean that everytime I put it in reverse it would switch the screen to my dvd player? You can use a DVD player with a composite plug for that input, then there's part of a 4 pin harness that plugs into the back of the screen as well, that's where you plug in a reverse camera. It's not the same input, and is automatically selected when you put it in reverse.

3) How do I switch the unit to play the video and audio from the dvd? Press the INFO button under the screen to select the video input. Then change your head unit to the AUX IN.

4) If I was routing on the nav and played a dvd, would I still get the directions? Not sure, I haven't tried that yet, but I have no reason to believe you wouldn't. It'd be the same as playing a CD and having the audio commands coming through.

5) Finally, I am pretty familiar with building computers, so have thought about the carpc route. Am I thinking about it correctly that the hookups (video, audio, power) would be about the same for a carpc and a dvd player? All I would really want to do with the carpc is play dvd's, maybe keep an excel spreadsheet with my mileage and a few other things, keep my ap logs on it, and surf the web and kill time.

Not sure the OEM screen can accept a PC input, or even if a PC can output to a composite connection. The people in the carpc thread will have to help you there.

:whore: right on point.

For the Car PC you could actually hack the navi screen to accept touch screen input to control a PC. again check the navi hack thread.

I also forgot to say I believe you can select the back-up camera at any time by pressing the INFO button a 2nd time. I'm not 100% sure on this as I don't see the need for a back-up camera in a small sedan so I don't have one...but I think I remember seeing that you can view the back-up cam at any time.

I also forgot to say I believe you can select the back-up camera at any time by pressing the INFO button a 2nd time. I'm not 100% sure on this as I don't see the need for a back-up camera in a small sedan so I don't have one...but I think I remember seeing that you can view the back-up cam at any time.

Pressing the info button switches between the video aux input and the statistics screen. If you connect your back up camera via the 4 pin molex connector, it only functions when you are in reverse.

Pressing the info button switches between the video aux input and the statistics screen. If you connect your back up camera via the 4 pin molex connector, it only functions when you are in reverse.

Really? I thought I recall in that thread that you could access it at any time. Hmmmm, maybe I should go back and read that again.

thanks for the replies. That really cleared a lot up for me.

A couple of points about the carpc, though:

1) I wouldn't plan on using the touchscreen to control the computer - a wireless keyboard maybe like this one http://store.mp3car.com/Logitech_diNovo_Mini_Wireless_Keyboard_p/com-061.htm and a gyroscopic mouse would be the route I would go.

2) There are converters to get from vga to composite, but I've never tried them.

Really? I thought I recall in that thread that you could access it at any time. Hmmmm, maybe I should go back and read that again.

Perhaps I am the one that needs to take a second look. It would a nice touch to be able to see with the backup cam while not in reverse :)

thanks for the replies. That really cleared a lot up for me.

A couple of points about the carpc, though:

1) I wouldn't plan on using the touchscreen to control the computer - a wireless keyboard maybe like this one http://store.mp3car.com/Logitech_diNovo_Mini_Wireless_Keyboard_p/com-061.htm and a gyroscopic mouse would be the route I would go.

2) There are converters to get from vga to composite, but I've never tried them.

then if you want to do that you can use a laptop or micro atx tower with a svideo cable then use an svideo to composite converter($10)

one more question, and maybe this isn't the place to ask, but for the carpc route, how do people handle the power hookup and get it to come on when the car turns on and suspend when it is turned off?

I was thinking that I could use a power inverter and a ups and a normal power supply, but that doesn't get it to automatically turn on with the ignition. Then I saw that they offer DC-DC power supplies that do what I want but they are kind of expensive. So, just wondering how most people handle it.

I'm kind of thinking the carpc route would be a more attractive way to go. They even make OBDII monitors for them which might come in handy.

there are auto power supplies for atx boards. it you can set it to sleep the comp and the ignition is off and it has turn over current protection... its all over ebay, newegg and price watch...

edit.. i think the micro atx carputer boards also have an rca video out on it.. not sure...

The info button does indeed switch to the standard composite in port on the back of the screen. If you wire your backup camera correctly with the molex connector, you won't be using that composite input and thus pushing info won't get you anything. What some people have done, is hook up the molex connector, and split the wires to the aux port as well so that they have normal backup cam operation, and the ability to switch it on at any time as an aux video source.

:whore: right on point.

For the Car PC you could actually hack the navi screen to accept touch screen input to control a PC. again check the navi hack thread.

Really? I've not seen this info in that thread. I would love to have my carpc easily hookup either in place of the stock nav unit, or at least be able to use input. I would think even if you hacked a cable there would be potential driver issues.

I've got the mediagate setup now, but am going to replace it with a laptop. It kind of sucks as laptop output via composite video onto the screen really doesn't look very good. Useable, but barely.

The other thing I would consider if there was a way to hack the cable for touch screen use and vga input, would be to remove the stock nav all together and connect the laptop in place of it and use some other gps antenna and software. That would give crystal clear video from pc, easy pc control, far superior gps software and traffic data as well as all the other benefits of a carpc.

I'd love to, but I still don't see anything real clear on making this happen. I looked through the 6 pages on mp3car, and it looks like they got vga video input to work on an aftermarket kenwood headunit. Hopefully someone with an OEM screen does this at some point. For now I think I'll deal with the composite input and no touch screen control.

same here. I have a lil touch pad i bought for like $20. and i intend to use that to control my carputer when i get it. I will prolly repleace my dvd player with a carputer. or should i keep it.

What do you think DVD player and carputer or just carputer?

If you've got a spare laptop or whatever, you might as well use that in place of the dvd player. I thought the mediagate would hold me over, but I'm feeling like I might as well just hook up a laptop in place of it.

I'm going to use a really small air mouse to control mine. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Gyration-GYT8102US-Gyrotransport-Air-mouse/dp/B000O7I5NS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1239720337&sr=8-4]Amazon.com: Gyrotransport Air-mouse: Office Products[/ame]

Archived