LegacyGT.com

Illumination problem after HU change

Oxford

I have just changed my HU in a Nav equiped Outback and there is no illumination on the Air Con buttons or the Sat Nav buttons. I noticed on the OEM plug that a black and white cable from the loom goes to a pin that was not present on the aftermaket one. I added an extra feed from the illumination output of the stereo onto this cable to see if that would work but it did not.

Any ideas ??

It sounds like you may have blown a fuse, or at least shorted the two illumination wires.

ETA:

(quoting your post in the 06 Aus Outback JDO Stereo Install thread):

I need to check but if you look at the link this shows the adapter I have with the missing pin on the lower right.

6955_1.JPG.33f94d6aba7d37f539f8ac2cf76bc0a6.JPG

I'm not sure if it is pin 7 that is missing (Ill-) or pin 14 (antenna amplifier power, yellow with a black stripe).

It's pin 7. Most aftermarket installation harnesses omit that wire, since virtually no aftermarket HUs can use it.

Here are the pin numbers:

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/830/subaru14pinradioplug.th.jpg

The missing wire is normally Orange/White on aftermarket harnesses. Pin-out is here.

I split the illumination o/p from the headunit and added one onto this cable on the car, so bypassing the missing pin.

From what you have said, it seems more than a simple issue. Any idea of where I would feed that cable (on the car loom side) or did the factory stereo generate the supply needed?

First, the illumination wire on your aftermarket HU is an input not an output! It wants to see +12V coming in there when your dash lights are on, which will cause the HU to dim its display. HUs typically also have a menu option to enable/disable this feature.

So the problem is that you have shorted together two of the car's output wires, which is shorting across all of the bulbs in your dash. Not good. You should remove the extra wire that you added. You'll probably also need to track down a blown fuse or two.

For more information, see the "Illumination/Dimmer Pins" section in post #2 of my Stock HU FAQ thread on NASIOC.

Archived