LegacyGT.com

Do you live near Dexter, MI (by Ann Arbor)? Do U want gas hood struts?

LegacyGT_JEB

Do you live near Dexter, MI (about 5 mi NW of Ann Arbor)? Do you have an 05+ LGT? Are you willing to let your car be a guinea pig for development of a gas hood strut kit? If yes to all three, read on!

I've been looking for a set of gas hood struts (some call 'em hood dampers) for my '05 LGT for a while to no avail. But today through a combination of forum & google searches I stumbled across Redline Tuning (http://www.redlinetuning.com/)

They have a kit for WRXs so I sent them an email to see if they had made a kit for the LGT. Only a few hours later I got a note back from Brian who said,

"We would be interested in developing a system for your vehicle… if there is anyone near us in Dexter, Michigan willing to give up a couple hours of their time, they will receive a free system and will be featured in our manual and website.

Have them contact us if near by."

I live in Minnesota otherwise I'd jump at this. So how about it Michigan people? Anyone want to step up and volunteer their car for the good of all LGTs?

If you are interested, please contact Brian at "sales AT redlinetuning.com" and post-up here so we don't have 80 people volunteering ;)

- Josh

p.s. I have no connection with Redline other than wanting gas hood struts...

At this point I've traded some emails with Brian. We are shooting for the 3rd week in April to organize a time to get together. They have some shows to prepare for until then. Sounds like it will be pretty quick once they have the time; I'll drop my car off for a few hours and then they'll have struts for the Legacy.

• 4 weeks later...
It's pretty cool. I was there for about 2 hours while the measured everything (repeatedly), did the install and took photos and video of the whole process. I would think it would take less than an hour to install by your self. Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_0177.thumb.jpg.e1b7fd04c28382f7aae9db66e1e38411.jpg

Yes there is drilling required. I didn't think that through when I offered up my car. Two tiny holes on each shock tower and two into the hood brace. They have a bunch of experience with these kits and usually bolt in kits have compromises they aren't willing to make.

As far as when it will be offered, it sounded like they have a bunch of new kits to put together. They said that if this kit generated a lot of interest that would move it to the top of the list. There isn't anything for them to make aside from the instruction manual as all the kits use the same parts just different length struts. So I didn't fully understand why the kit wouldn't be immediately available.

I can't tell if you like or don't like how they are attached. There are two "ball" brackets for each strut and the strut has a "cup" (on each end) that snaps over the ball. The brackets are small and everything has to line up correctly so that it doesn't bump any other thing. So when the hood is closed the strut just lays quietly. Since the brackets are small (nicely powdercoated and stamped Redline Tuning) they look pretty cool and are unobtrusive.

I installed the one for the imprezzas and it's working out great.

Only drilling is on the shock towers...not too bad, and some Dremeling out of the plastic under the weatherstrip. The hood strut would otherwise hit this plastic.

My only complaint is that it could be a bit longer. My hood doesn't open as far as the oem hood prop. Maybe 2" less.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Archived