LegacyGT.com

Fuel Gauge on a '97 LGT

So how many gallons do you put in your tank when your fuel gauge is on the last line which should be empty?

I put in about 12 gallons. Don't we have 15.9 gallon tanks?

Just seeing if my fuel gauge is wacky or if this is normal.

Yup. Ditto here. I recently replaced my gauge face(s) and was sort of "testing" the fuel gauge to see how accurate it was after the needle replacement. I was surprised earlier this morning when driving to work that the needle was nearly buried into the "E" when my car began sputtering down the street... However, one strange thing is that my gas light never turned on. I'm a curious person, so I'm sure I'll look into that later...

Anyhow, back to the original post reply... When I filled my tank all the way up, it took 15.25 gallons (after sputtering, mind you).

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

I've never ran out myself, but I was in my friend's civic when it sputtered out pulling into the station. He jabbed the clutch in and it rolled just enough to get to a pump. It was pretty amazing, I don't think anyone could have set it up to have worked any better than that :p

Our gas gauges are prematurely marked! I took me a while to figure this out and after some research I concluded that the BD's have the 15.9 gallon OB tank (which aside from the body spacers, struts, ground effects and wheels is the LGT wagon, for first gen at least)

eekay ~ That sucks! I have never sputtered, my gas light goes on right around 13 gallons I think....

I think the most I have filled it up is 14 gallons (with the gas light blinking for two days hahaha)....I live at least 6 miles away from anything so I don't try to tempt it too much...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_legacy_archive95_97.html

Good to know. I've been too chicken poo to test it out. The lowest I've gone still only filled using 12.9 gal or so. I figured we just didn't have gas light haha. I've been getting pretty consistent gas mileage lately so maybe I'll subtract 2 mpg from that, multiply it by 15.9 gallons and fill up when I reach THAT mileage on my trip meter!

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

I get it! You'd have to push the car if it ran out of gas; very clever! : P While I don't like to go below E very often, filling a 15.9 gal tank with ~8-9 gals of gas every time sure seems like a lot o' fillin'!

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

We do in fact have a "Hey!!! You're low on gas!!!" light.

I noticed this as well since I've pretty much owned the car. I've noticed when it hits E its right around 10 Gallons to fill it up. I drive a lot so I find myself filling the tank 2-3 times a week. This led me to investigate...... kind of.

Earlier today I spaced out and didn't really check the gas gauge until the little orange light came on. About 2 minutes up the road I stopped for gas. It scared me as I didn't even know we had one.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k148/coreboy7/suby/04-08-09_1600.jpg

Anyway, when I filled it up from the light coming on it came to 11.08 Gallons.

I'll also be testing this again just to be sure the gauge is reading correctly. I'm at a little over a half-tank now so I would think early next week I'll know if a) the gas light is working again and b) how much gas I have left when the light does come on and c) if my needle is anywhere near where it is supposed to be... I'll post the results when I get 'em.
My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

Archived