LegacyGT.com

Parrot Mki9100

havanahjoe

pics in my gallery on subaruoutback.org

http://www.subaruoutback.org/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=11618&thumb=1

I was at the installer's a couple of hours ago, we tried to replace the bluebox with what was available in their stock : an mki9000 one. I've also checked the fuse were ok.

the mki9000 box started all right.

Then I've put bax the mki9100 blue box and guess what it started up right away...

Can't figure out what happened.

I was at the installer's a couple of hours ago, we tried to replace the bluebox with what was available in their stock : an mki9000 one. I've also checked the fuse were ok.

the mki9000 box started all right.

Then I've put bax the mki9100 blue box and guess what it started up right away...

Can't figure out what happened.

Sounds like what happened to mine. I just had to pull power from it for a few minutes and then it recovered. It was easier for me to pull the battery power than remove the box.

Do you have any road noise issues with the microphone where you mounted it? Do people tell you that you sound like you are underwater when the car is moving or while accelerating?

I don't have a cubby in my car, otherwise that would have been a great spot. I wish I could integrate it with my NAV. :mad:

'did not have any bad feedback from my correspondent so far, but I have not used it that much either so I could not tell for sure.

I have unplugged the box once before I went back to the installer : it did not cure the pain.

weird stuff, I hope the thing does not crap out after warranty will be gone !

'did not have any bad feedback from my correspondent so far, but I have not used that much either so I could not tell for sure.

I have tried to remove the box once before I went back to the installer : it did not cure the pain.

weird stuff, I hope the thing does not crap out after warranty will be gone !

I haven't had any more issues with mine since the last time it did it to me, and that was 4 months ago. I am running a different firmware version, actually I am running a Spanish Version of it. I installed it for testing and kept it, don't know if this helped or not.

... Reminded me I need to find a nice 5 or 10 pack of CR2032 batteries online (for the remote). The stores charge an arm and a leg for them retail! :lol:;)

Cheers!

this is the best online store I've found for lithium batteries :

http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm

1 x CR2032 = 0.5 USD + 6.95 for US shipping

that's around 1 USD each if you buy 12 of them

I might also get some as they will also fit the polar cardio computer I'm using almost every day...

this is the best online store I've found for lithium batteries :

http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm

1 x CR2032 = 0.5 USD + 6.95 for US shipping

that's around 1 USD each if you buy 12 of them

I might also get some as they will also fit the polar cardio computer I'm using almost every day...

Cool. Thanks.

I ended getting them from http://www.batterybob.com but I'll check the batterystation next time. ;)

Is there a way to find out if you're in need of a firmware update? I wonder if I can even update the firmware on my 6000 series?

Cheers!

Cool. Thanks.

I ended getting them from www.batterybob.com but I'll check the batterystation next time. ;)

Is there a way to find out if you're in need of a firmware update? I wonder if I can even update the firmware on my 6000 series?

Cheers!

You can check the parrot site for the latest version and then see what your current version is, but if your current version is working fine, I would say don't touch it! :lol:

but if your current version is working fine, I would say don't touch it! :lol:

agreed !

read the release notes through-fully and update only if you see an interesting new feature or a correction to a bug you have actually encountered.

So I am still confused and about to bite the bullet and buy a mk6100.

If I choose the harness qcsub-1mk, then I can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to have an aux in connection correct (from a non bluetooth mp3 player for example) in my 05 LGT (6 disk, no aux in from the factory). Is this correct?

So I am still confused and about to bite the bullet and buy a mk6100.

If I choose the harness qcsub-1mk, then I can use a 3.5mm to RCA cable to have an aux in connection correct (from a non bluetooth mp3 player for example) in my 05 LGT (6 disk, no aux in from the factory). Is this correct?

I don't think this will work. The RCA connectors on the harness are there so that you can take the output from the Parrot device and play it through your own amplifier instead of using the one in the Parrot's blue box.

The mk6100 seems to only be able to play music through bluetooth a2dp, so if you want to use an external mp3 player (via an Aux In port) you should get the mk9100 instead.

Its more of a something to have just in case, I use my palm pre's a2dp to do music, just wanted the 3.5 aux in for an emergency. Thanks for the fast update Havanahjoe, you just saved me money of the qc harness!

Haha well I bought it and it saved me time I would have otherwise spent splicing wires. It is expensive, but I liked the plug and play simplicity.

I've compared the a2dp vs usb sound quality, playing the same 224VBR mp3 tune. (from a Sony ericson w880i and a 2.5" HDD)

usb wins big time !

The sound through a2dp feels to soft, I mean so compressed that all dynamics are gone, I'd rather listen the flat4 melody :lol:

Besides, a2dp UI is not as user friendly : the mki9100 can pause/play but can not browse what's available in the BT device library. You have to browse your library from the phone, that's not something I would recommend while driving.

Even though a2dp is usefull for playing stuff like talk-show podcasts.

I've compared the a2dp vs usb sound quality, playing the same 224VBR mp3 tune. (from a Sony ericson w880i and a 2.5" HDD)

usb wins big time !

The sound through a2dp feels to soft, I mean so compressed that all dynamics are gone, I'd rather listen the flat4 melody :lol:

Besides, a2dp UI is not as user friendly : the mki9100 can pause/play but can not browse what's available in the BT device library. You have to browse your library from the phone, that's not something I would recommend while driving.

Even though a2dp is usefull for playing stuff like talk-show podcasts.

That's interesting. I've never bothered to compare the sound quality. I usually only use A2DP to play some newer songs. I always forget to get the iPod to upload new music.

It does seem like the sound from A2DP is softer because the stock speakers don't vibrate as much when playing A2DP vs iPod or CD/Aux In.

the crappy stock speakers of mine are in a carton box on shelf. Here's what i got instead,

front:

http://www.focal-fr.com/catalogue-docs/EN/15/files/2244.pdf

http://www.focal-fr.com/catalogue-docs/EN/15/files/1245.pdf

http://www.focal-fr.com/catalogue-docs/EN/15/files/1302.pdf

back :

http://www.focal-fr.com/catalogue-docs/EN/16/files/1216.pdf

far from plug and play to set up but well worth the effort :)

I reckon the slower BT A2DP bitstream (vs usb) requires an additional compression that is automaricaly performed by the BT device (cell phone, what ever). So what you listen is not the original 224bit/s mp3 but something closer to 128bit/s. Anything bellow 160bit/s wont be enough for decent music quality.

• 4 weeks later...

mki9100 v1.20 adds random play !

Just upgraded (french version), and it does actualy work.

Good work Parrot, now I wont look anymore at an ipod to random play all my tunes : the 40Gb usb 2.5" 4200RPM hard drive will do the job for zero € (got it from a laptop I've upgraded to 250Gb)

• 1 year later...
Oh i will definitely be getting the harness, just qcsub-1 not qcsub-1mk (bout a 15 dollar difference as I can see).

Sorry I'm confused about these harnesses...:confused:

I'm looking to put an MKi9100 into my 05 Outback XT (6-cd), but what's the difference between the qcsub-1 and the qcsub-1mk?

The "mk" harness is harder to find and a bit more expensive; would I miss out on anything with the qcsub-1?

Thanks for any clues!

EDIT: I think I figured it out-- just the RCA pair? Since I don't have inputs on the head unit, that wouldn't make a difference. No plan to get a Jazzy kit either...

A big difference with the QCSUB-1MK is that you use it in place of the harness that comes with the Parrot kit -- reducing the bulky connectors you'll be adding behind your radio (although in 2005-2009 Legacys/Outbacks, there isn't a big problem with lack of space back there).

The QCSUB-1 connects between your factory radio harness, radio, and the ISO connectors on the Parrot kit's harness. Picture:

QCSub-1.jpg.4d4f7e5fb1fc3a3d0ebae7928518b0f6.jpg

2005-2006 Legacy/Outback radios have a mono input for phone/OnStar. You can send the Parrot's audio directly to that input, and avoid needing either of the QC harnesses. That gives several other advantages:

• Displays "CALL" on the radio's LCD
  • Sends the phone audio to your car's front speakers
  • The OEM radio has a separate volume setting for calls
  • Works even if the radio was powered off
  • Mutes the rear subwoofer speaker (only found in some 2006 Legacy spec.B and Outback VDC models)

I can put together a plug-and-play adapter to go between the MKi9100 or MKi9200 and your factory radio. PM me for details.

Archived