LegacyGT.com

rear taillights mod

I'm not completely sure about the "WFT factor." :)

Certainly, there are many applications (race, as well as road - i.e. motorcycles, buses, as well as public-safety vehicles) where a bright, flashling/pulsing red light used as the "stop/brake" signal seems to work even better than having bright constant-on.

And truly, you'd be pairing the brighter lower-sides with either one (or even two, with the factory spoiler) center high-mount stop light(s).

I'm not convinced that this poses a true safety hazard.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

The only ways I see this possible is if you a) make the left tail light part stay bright like when you hit the brakes, or b) have the left turn signal light stay on constantly. I think it would be alot better if we had the JDM/EDM tail lights that have the turn/reverse bulbs in the clear section. I guess this is the reason that they have it this way. This is definately an interesting subject. I'll have to keep myself posted on how this comes about...

• 5 months later...

Bumping this old thread since I did some work on this tonight......

I am hoping this will clear up some of the confusion.

Basically, the reason I started digging around in the rear lights was that tonight I followed a friend in their 05 Legacy. I had never seen the rear taillights in action before ... and I really didn't like the stock lighting setup.....

Stock set up.....

Parking lights - bottom light is on "low" and top light is "off".

Brakes - bottom light is on "high" and top light is "off". The 3rd brake light and spoiler light (if applicable) are on.

Directionals/hazards -top light flashes "off"/"high" and no change/effect on bottom light (state dependant on brake and parking settings)

Modified set up.....

Parking lights - bottom light is on "low" and top light is on "low".

Brakes - bottom light is on "high" and top light is "off". The 3rd brake light and spoiler light (if applicable) are on. This is no different than the stock set up.

Directionals/hazards - top light flashes "low"/"high" and no change/effect on bottom light (state dependant on brake and parking settings)

I hope this clears things up. Basically... the mod doesn't affect or change what lights are lit when braking. All it does is turn to top bulbs on "low" setting when the parking lights are on.

Taillight.thumb.JPG.2adba7cceccd7a6252a8633084ca0e10.JPG

• 2 years later...
It would be great the keep the parking lights the same and have EVERY light illuminate when braking. This seems to make more sense than adding 2 additional non-braking lights.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

heres another cool tailight mod for older ob owners all it is is vinyl from a custom car shop, the one by me has hundreds of colors to match any car all you do is buy the 6" wide stuff and make sure its long enough for your tailights, stick it on and be carfull not to get any air bubbles and the cut out for the lights(and if you want you can cut out a cool design for the lights, i didnt but thats just me). this mod makes the back of your older ob look like the back of the newer ob

before (sorry i dont have before pics of my car so i just found one)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2d/1996-1998_Subaru_Outback_station_wagon_01.jpg

after

05 ob

http://www.pcpcdallas.com/images/film/full-rear-outback-wag-shade.jpg

Archived