LegacyGT.com

Suspension install advice

tahoegt

Going to put Ion springs on a new set of struts. Are there any other parts I need to or should replace while doing the install? I do have a new "creak" in the front when going oner speed bumps. Also, if anyone else has this set up let me know what you think. Thanks

Are moving to a different strut? Like from the USDM KYBs to JDM Bilsteins? If so, you'll need new front tophats. Do you have any other suspension mods (like swaybars)? That could be the source of the creaking (could also be your current tophats).

Some other tips. Use airtools where possible. The rear bolts for the shock are a PITA and will probably require a breaker bar. You'll also want a jack to help you install the rear assemblies. Don't go yanking on the front hubs (rotors) to assist in getting the shock off the hub because you might just accidently pull your axel out of your front diff.

I'm going to have it professionally done. Going with OEM struts. I hear that they are the best pair for the springs.

Really? I've always been led to believe the OEM struts are overpowered by the OEM springs. Now you're adding stiffer springs? I would think some upgraded struts like Bilsteins or Koni's are in order.

I don't know anything more than I've read here though so I'm far from an expert in these things. ;)

Cheers!

You could also skip the springs and just upgrade the struts. Have you read the Koni thread where the guy that helped get them developed for the Leggy said just upgrading the struts was a pretty fantastic improvement over stock?

Check it out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35073

The very post even: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=703671&postcount=103

I would think on rough roads and the snow you drive in you'd want to keep as much ride height as possible.

Cheers!

I just put konis in with the ion springs. I'm running the front and rear stiffness at 3/4 turn from soft, they feel great! The front felt like it was slightly over dampened so I put a little turn to soft on them. It's definatly not a harsh ride. With the konis you won't need top hats. Both front and rear are adjustable.

Archived