LegacyGT.com

IPT 5EAT Rebuild

frkkevin

So my question is.. since I've already got the modded IPT VB.. why could I not just order the following and have someone local rebuild the transmission?

IPT Performance Transmission Rebuild Kit- 5EAT (5 speed automatic)

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/images/inventory/ipt_mas_kit2.jpg

IPT now offers High Performance Master Rebuild Kits for many Chrysler, Jeep GM and Ford transmissions, as well as Imports. These kits include all necessary seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, frictions and steels that are required when rebuilding transmissions. The materials and parts that are selected for inclusion in these kits are the same as the ones that are installed in our Performance Transmissions. We utilize only the type of clutch and reaction plate material that we feel is best suited for each particular unit.

Price: $829

I know an engine builder who also does transmissions and is pretty innovative. Now here I am to compare what IPT does during the rebuild..

Highlighted are the two things I would have to see if my builder can do.. Anyone have any ideas/thoughts? Are the parts IPT uses during the rebuild the same as the performance rebuild they sell?!

SUBARU 5EAT (5-SPEED AUTO) PERFORMANCE AUTOMATICS

Legacy, Outback, Tribeca

• Valve bodies are fully modified and calibrated to provide quick, positive shifts
  • Additional High-Energy Input Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 33% increase in capacity
  • Additional High-Energy High/Low/Reverse Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 40% increase in capacity
  • Additional High-Energy Direct Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 40% increase in capacity
  • Lube system is redesigned to prevent geartrain failure and to increase lube flow
  • Updated High/Low/Reverse Clutch Drum Installed (where applicable)
  • Heavy Duty High/Low/Reverse Snap Ring Installed
  • Pump is modified to provide increased pressure and volume
  • Splines are heat treated to prevent stripping
  • Upgraded Center Differential Clutch Pack

5 Speed Auto (5EAT): $4795

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

AFAIK the two parts highlighted in red are not included in the rebuild kit which "only" strengthens your clutchpacks and such. Also, the full IPT rebuild includes a modded torque converter I think. I would probably go with the rebuild kit and run with that. If something fails, deal with it when it does. However, do a cost analysis. Get an exact price for this rebuild. If it comes close to IPT's price, I'd go for an IPT rebuild for obvious reasons.

AFAIK the two parts highlighted in red are not included in the rebuild kit which "only" strengthens your clutchpacks and such. Also, the full IPT rebuild includes a modded torque converter I think. I would probably go with the rebuild kit and run with that. If something fails, deal with it when it does. However, do a cost analysis. Get an exact price for this rebuild. If it comes close to IPT's price, I'd go for an IPT rebuild for obvious reasons.

I highlighted those in red to show that was not included with the kit :) .. but I'm pretty sure he could figure out how to mod the transmission.

Since you mention the tq converter.. I've not really heard of any of those failing. Will it hold up on around 460whp? My setup is good for 550+whp.. but I'd have to do some internals and of course the transmission...

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

I would be interested to see how this plays out.

I would love the fully built trans in my car, but the cost and down time is holding me back. For now I am hoping the VB and cooler with frequent trans flushes keeps my trans happy, time will tell.

Since you mention the tq converter.. I've not really heard of any of those failing.
According to the shop that did the removal and reinstall of my IPT overhauled trans last year, while it was slipping pretty badly, IPT told them that it ultimately was the torque converter that dissentigrated, possibly due to a manufacturing defect. There was no way I could even approach Subaru about it after all the modifictions that I had made. My tq converter was unrebuildable so IPT had to tack down another to use to modify which extended how long I was without my car.

I am sure you could do this, but IPT gives you a one year warranty and they have the experience with our transmissions. Unless you know a really good transmission installer that is willing to put a bunch of aftermarket components onto your oem transmission and give you a 1 year warranty, I would stick with shipping your transmission to IPT.

I did it a year ago and yes it is VERY expensive, but I will hopefully never have to worry about replacing my transmission again.

• 8 months later...

bump to this thread since I know you are still unresolved.

I figure if your trans rebuilder can heat treat or whatever technique they use to treat and harden clutch packs, then you are good to go. Higher stall would be better with your turbo, but not necessary.

I say go for it.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

IPT will cryo every single gear, including the center diff if requested. You won't get that service in your rebuild kit.

However if I had not destroyed the spider gears in my center diff I may have just purchased the rebuild kit and had a local shop do the work.

IPT will cryo every single gear, including the center diff if requested. You won't get that service in your rebuild kit.

However if I had not destroyed the spider gears in my center diff I may have just purchased the rebuild kit and had a local shop do the work.

How hard is that for "local Joe's shop" to do?

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

How hard is that for "local Joe's shop" to do?

I have no idea how hard it would be for a local shop to do. What I can tell you is that none of the local shops I contacted would cryo anything. Another thing to consider is that if there is any damage to any of the gears in the tranny or center diff, Subaru will not sell them to you. IPT has extra parts transmissions in stock, and that is how they are able to replace any broken gears.

I have no idea how hard it would be for a local shop to do. What I can tell you is that none of the local shops I contacted would cryo anything. Another thing to consider is that if there is any damage to any of the gears in the tranny or center diff, Subaru will not sell them to you. IPT has extra parts transmissions in stock, and that is how they are able to replace any broken gears.

That explains a lot!

Archived