LegacyGT.com

Paint quailty

SUBY3

If you know about Zaino then you probably know about clay. That would fix anything that can be fixed regarding the rough feel on the surface of your car. Beyond that you are feeling imperfections in the paint. There is enough orange peel on this car to choke a horse and that isn't going to go away. Not Zaino or any other product is going to fix the orange peel problem. In fact, the paint on my LGT is so thin that I wouldn't even dare wetsand it.

$5000 is at least what an OEM quality paint job should cost. The paint on the car is the most expensive part of the entire vehicle. To repaint everything properly would easily cost you $5000 unless you are going to get a thin cheap ass paint job. Its not necessarily the amount of area that you paint that makes it expensive. Its the quality of the paint and how well they treat it between coats if they use more than one. The Legacy's paint doesn't look like more than primer, color and then thin thin thin clear. That clear coat doesn't stop shit from getting all the way to the primer. Some of the scratches I have should only be in the clear, but since our paint is crap they go all the way to the bottom. I've been detailing cars now for nearly 10 years and this is the worst quality paint I have ever seen on a new car.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

ack, well thats not re-assuring.. and I thought my GM paint was soft..

I dont think I'd pay $5k for a paint job for a daily driver, I dont see how it can be that much, I mean given getting the body primed and smoothed and all is an artform that few can replicate.. but this is a NEW car so it shouldn't be wavy like the side of my c10's bed, it hasn't had the time to do that.. even tho its thinner..

I washed my car today. .I scrubbed and scrubbed and found water spots and stains in the paint that will not come out, so I called my detailer and talked to him about it, he said he would need to see it to really tell me anything, surley subaru didn't make the paint thin to "Save weight" I mean how much can paint weigh??

worst case I can cash out all of my positive equity and then some on a $5k loan to repaint the car back to what it should have been before I bought it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I'm just saying that if your car was bare sheet metal and you wanted to get it painted with any degree of OEM quality (obviously Subaru didn't even bother to do that) then it would easily cost upwards of $5000. Getting your car repainted at this point would cost even more since there is the prep work of removing all the existing paint and practicaly taking apart most of the car to do it.

The orange peel is caused by putting the color coat on too thin. It can be caused by a thin color coat that gets clear coated too early too. Either way, it is the result of a hasty and shoddy paint job.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yeah I just found like 3 paint chips on my trunk...I don't ever rest anything on my car and I clean it one day and see spots off missing paint down the the metal. Freaking at least my door should be better since the police paid for that to be replaced with something that should last.

MY THUMB NAIL scratched my bumper removing stubborn bug. Was not pressing down that hard. Come on now should'nt our paint be harder then my finger nail? The only milk I get is the 1/2 & 1/2 I put in my coffee.

We should'nt have to cover our car in plastic to prevent the paint from flaking off.

Swirls happen on anything that is painted. If the car was washed improperly or preped wrong then you could have swirls and all kinds of damage upon delivery. The car is perfect when it leaves the paint shop and that is about it. They put those large plastic sheets on it to protect it in transport and the dealership has to take it off. The adhesive they use on those sheets is a paint to remove. There is other detailing that needs to be done before you can take delivery as well. If the dealership detailer is good then you shouldn't have a problem. If the dealership detailer is a hack (as so many of them are) then you are likely to have swirls the day you pick up your car. I specifically requested that my LGT not have the plastic removed when I picked it up. I have all the products I need to take care of that job. Nobody but me has ever washed this car and nobody but me ever will as long as I own it.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived