LegacyGT.com

Ebay EL Header (Synic knock-off)

Coyote_Lips

The plan is to send in my factory manifolds to Grimmspeed... but in the meantime I picked up a set of super cheap headers off of Ebay. For the record: Stock manifolds and Hog-zaust sounds good. This ebay header and Hog-zaust sounds terrible. Only other exhaust mod is an Invidia HFC DP. Leaving the factory UP alone since it is not catted. I have a Borla cat back on the way, so that should fix the raspiness.

Impressions:

1. The hardware that comes with this header is useless and not even relevant, but looks nice and shiny in my junk drawer.

2. The gaskets are brand new, but not Subaru OEM.

3. The flanges line up for the most part. I had to use Kung-fu to actually get them to seat to the heads.

4. The header itself is probably 304 stainless as advertised. Not magnetic and no coating.

5. The inside welds were ground and polished much to my surprise. The collector right at the UP flange looked nice and smooth. I forgot to get a pic of this part :(

6. The exhaust note is a lot quieter, but also higher pitched. The "boxer burble" is completely gone. It will be missed.

7. Possibly a slight exhaust leak at one of the flex joints... Lost about 1.5 psi of boost, but no longer overboosting. 16 instead of 17-18. Meh.

8. O2 sensor bung is slightly lower than factory. Had to adjust wiring to get the sensor to reach.

9. Installation from start to finish only took about 1 hour in my garage.

10. Not too comfortable with how close the header is to my oil filter. Less than 2 inches. Going to rig some head shielding of some sort very soon.

11. Not even going to try the stock plastic belly pan. New pan on the way from Rallitek. (As soon as Sean finishes the new revisions for Ver. 3) ;)

Overall not bad for the price. $130 plus shipping. Probably going to get road tuned with this set up to see if it actually makes any usefull power. We'll see how long this thing lasts before cracking. I'm guessing about 12 months.

-Dan-

elh-ebay.jpg.36476da7aaad98dff027e73112e2aab2.jpg

elh.jpg.a6536c651fadffcafe88803c55c730b7.jpg

Yup...

The Borla CBE is sealing to my Invidia catted DP... for now. Any suggestions on how to fit them better? Borla looks to be set up for the factory donut, but the DP is a flat flange. I stuffed in a gasket and applied german torque. ;)

The exhaust sounds just barely louder/deeper than stock. I need to get off my butt and send in the factory manifolds to Grimmspeed. The header is another story. Definate exhaust leak at the top flex joint. The old saying is true... "You get what you pay for."

Yup...

Removed the header. It was causing a leak at the slip joint on the factory UP. After removal i couldn't find any evidence of a leak at the Flex joints. I'll just pay the core charge for the Grimmspeed setup. This EL header is getting shelved for now. :mad:
Yup...

Archived