LegacyGT.com

New suspension installed with a couple of hiccups!

sooberoo

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a Bilstein JDM GT Rev.C suspension (shocks and springs) from HKC-Speed.com. To complete the package I purchased a Cobb rear sway bar.

Was going to do the work myself, but my buddy with the air tools couldn't accomodate me and I am having a hard time drying out the floor of my garage (snow melting off the car). I decided that rather than lying in a cold puddle of water on an even colder concrete floordicking around with hand tools, to have a shop do the install for me. Total including the 4 wheel alignment was just over $500 CDN.

Took it to a place owned by a former neighbors best friend. He's an incredible mechanic so I knew that I'd be in good hands. Later in the day I called to find out the status and he informed me that everything was in but that there may be something wrong with the rear shock top hats, he said that driving it sounded like the rear doors were open!

Turned out that the top nuts on not just the rear shocks but all the shocks had been backed off when the supsension had been removed from the donor car. Dunno why someone would have done this (perhaps inexperience) but the bolts were all tightened as best he could so I could drive it home for the night. Apparently the nuts were so loose that the springs have rotated out of their perch notch so it is creaking and groaning at low speeds. He is going to fix that with the 4 wheel alignment next week.

So after being assured that everything had been tighened up I was still apprehensive about putting the car through the paces, especially seeing that there were 4 old shocks and sway bar rolling around in the trunk and I am running on winter tires.

My first impression is that the ride is way firmer and far more compliant than stock. Previously driving over minor road undulations you could feel them and hear some rumble as they were rolled over but now there is the faintest sensation through the steering wheel and almost no noise at all.

Once I got home and the old parts stowed in the garage, I went for a spirited (but not crazy) run, my first observation was that the car turns into the corners much quicker and flatter, I also noticed in one corner that oversteer has been reduced substantially to almost neutral and lifting up on the gas (yes I hade a brief chicken-little moment!) that a slight amount of welcome oversteer had made itself available.

I did not notice any drop in suspension height, but that may change once everything settles in. This isn't really a big thing with me anyway, I am more interested in a balance between a sporty ride and comfort and this setup looks like it is going to deliver!

Cheers!

Archived