LegacyGT.com

Can a wheel get bent from tire mount/dismount?

Mr. Sinister

I had some TPMS sensors installed today and while adjusting the tire pressures, I noticed one of the wheels where bent. At this point, I have no way of knowing if they were bent before or if the tire shop bent them. So what I want to know is, can a wheel get bent from the tire getting dismounted/mounted?

Almost no way they could bend the wheel simply from dismounting the tire from the wheel - unless they were, for some reason, taking a very large hammer to the edge of the wheel, and then you would see the impact marks and chipped paint.

It is most likely that it occurred at another time. What tire pressures do you keep your tires at? Especially with the bad roads, wheels with lower profile tires are very susceptible to being bent if tire pressures are kept low. I run around 38 psi in my wheels, and that's for the 17" set.

Good. I know it sounds weird, but I'd rather the wheel be damaged from a pothole than from the tire shop. I keep my winter wheel pressures at 37/35, but I also live in the land of potholes. I don't remember hitting any potholes with that particular wheel, but who knows. I didn't notice any weird vibrations this morning and as long as it doesn't lose any air, I'm not going to fret over it. Thanks for the response.

Isn't it possible that they rotated the tires when they installed the sensors? So you might not have remembered hitting a pothole on the, say, Left Rear. But you did hit one on the right front. When they reinstalled the wheels, they may have just put the RF wheel on the LR of the car.

Just a possibility.

It would be VERY difficult to bend a wheel on a tire mounting machine. They aren't nearly strong enough.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Isn't it possible that they rotated the tires when they installed the sensors? So you might not have remembered hitting a pothole on the, say, Left Rear. But you did hit one on the right front. When they reinstalled the wheels, they may have just put the RF wheel on the LR of the car.

Just a possibility.

It would be VERY difficult to bend a wheel on a tire mounting machine. They aren't nearly strong enough.

Definitely possible, but that would suck as well since it means that my rotation is all screwed up now. I pretty much wanted to rule out the chance that the shop damaged the wheel. If it was damaged by a pothole, it sucks, but it was unavoidable. If the shop did it however, I'd be pissed. I looked at the bent portion and don't see any marring or anything like that, so I really didn't think that it was their fault to begin with. With the likelihood of them damaging it being slim to none, I can stop thinking about it; which is pretty much all I wanted. That is, assuming that it causes no problems. :)

It most definitely would.

Easiest way to tell? Post a pic. If it's not a 5" long dent, it wasn't done by the tire shop.

I know our tire machine doesn't have the cojones to dent an aluminum rim.

You CAN get wheels repaired you know. There are probably tons of places in Chicago that do it (IIRC, the roads there suck). I bet for under $150 you'll be right as rain.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It most definitely would.

Easiest way to tell? Post a pic. If it's not a 5" long dent, it wasn't done by the tire shop.

I know our tire machine doesn't have the cojones to dent an aluminum rim.

You CAN get wheels repaired you know. There are probably tons of places in Chicago that do it (IIRC, the roads there suck). I bet for under $150 you'll be right as rain.

Unless you're looking for it, you probably couldn't tell where the bend is looking a the wheel straight-on. It's more obvious from the side because of the gap between the tire and the rim. I'll try to post a couple of pics later tonight.

If it holds air (no vibrations so far), I won't sweat it. My only concern about a repair is that the powdercoating would get ruined. Yeah, the roads here absolutely suck. Crooked politicians stealing our tax money instead of fixing the roads. :mad:

That looks like you struck a pot hole with low on tire pressure. But, I don't see any bubble on tire's sidewall.

If a bent was from tire machine, then bent will be facing in and not outward.

Tire pressure was probably 31 (when it was -10 outside) at the lowest for the rears. We just have monster potholes in Chicago.

Thanks for the info. I thought that it was possible that the bead-breaker could've caused it, but it looks like I"ve got some reading to do.

Archived