LegacyGT.com

When it rains, it pours...

The only thing I can think of, if park doesn't lock the engine (I really don't know about automatics) is to use an impact gun on it. But you still have to figure out how to get it back on, since you can't impact it back on.

There's got to be a way to jam it though.... my pulley has little holes in it that you can jam a long bar in, I don't know about yours. I could take a look at it sometime if you want, I'm fairly close to you.

Finally got it off with a crazy breaker bar contraption and a chain wrench... Gotta love the little two day snags on something lame like this.

I'll finish replacing the cam seals tomorrow but can't figure out what the name of this other gasket/seal I need to replace is...

It's about the diameter of a softball and is located on the inside of the back of the timing belt cover, around the outside of the top/driver's side camshaft (not the cam seal) where the head bolts up to the timing belt cover. It seems as if this is where the leak was coming from originally... However, I have no clue what this thing is called and the very knowledgeable individuals at Kragen/autozone were no help at all. Might have to use my sube dealership connection but would like to know what this is called.

Thanks!

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c286/catch22ska4/securedownload.jpg

This is a picture of the lower camshaft on the drivers side, as you can see the cam seal is pressed in but there is another rubber piece that closes the gap between the timing belt cover and where the head bolts up to the back of it. This rubber piece with the bolt going through the right side of the picture is nonexistent on the upper camshaft and I am pretty sure this is where the leak was resulting from. Anybody know wtf this is so i can get it and put my car back together??

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

It's not driveable at the moment, but I did swing by subaru and checked it out on their exploded view. It ended up being a rubber "o" ring gasket, officially titled the "timing assembly cover seal."

Everything should be good by this point.... However, the new gasket happened to be slightly thinner than the old one which I had to take off to pull the timing cover off enough to fit the new one in. Now my problem is getting them back on, staying attached to the timing cover and not sliding off as they push back around the cam.

The oil leak had to have been coming from this spot on the driver's side upper cam as this gasket was not present (for whatever reason) when I removed the timing cover.

I'm going crazy though, such a little snag to stop me from putting everything back together...

Archived