LegacyGT.com

My new 2003 wagon

Hi all, Ive been a member here a while, and Ive had an 01rs for, I believe, for about 4 or 5 years. I just found a great deal locally on a 2003 Legacy L wagon, 5MT that is pretty clean to add to the stable. Lemme know what you think. This seems to be a little difficult finding info about this model though. Ive searched a bit, but what platform does it share its suspension with, or is very similar to? I wanna know what sways will fit, what tophats, struts, links, ect. from other models if I so choose to make it handle a little better. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also any known problems with this model?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/joellg/Cars/DSCN3170.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/joellg/Cars/DSCN3169.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/joellg/Cars/DSCN3168.jpg

And the "other" suby in the garage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/joellg/Cars/DSCN0031-1.jpg

As far as suspension goes, I know the first and second gen Legacy models can use Impreza (GC/GD) suspension parts since the Impreza was based on the Legacy chassis with McPherson struts on all 4 corners. I'm not sure if/how much modification is necessary. Since the Legacy didn't switch to the multi-link rear until the current BP/BL gen, I'd think that your 3rd gen could still use Impreza pieces.
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

As far as suspension goes, I know the first and second gen Legacy models can use Impreza (GC/GD) suspension parts since the Impreza was based on the Legacy chassis with McPherson struts on all 4 corners. I'm not sure if/how much modification is necessary. Since the Legacy didn't switch to the multi-link rear until the current BP/BL gen, I'd think that your 3rd gen could still use Impreza pieces.

That's incorrect. The BE/BH was the first to get the multi-link rear, NOT the BL/BP.

The front suspension from any 5x100 Impreza will fit the 3rd gen, but as with the 4th generation Legacy, it's on it's own for the rear.

Also, the headgaskets should be fine as the car has the SOHC EJ25 and there have been very few, if any, reports of bad headgaskets on Legacy's that were made after '01. The early years of the 3rd gen Legacy had the headgaskets that had a tendancy to leak externally rather than internally like the DOHC EJ25 in 95-99 Legacy's, but it was said that they fixed it for good sometime in 2001.

Anyways, nice find OP. 5-speed or auto?

That's incorrect. The BE/BH was the first to get the multi-link rear, NOT the BL/BP.

The front suspension from any 5x100 Impreza will fit the 3rd gen, but as with the 4th generation Legacy, it's on it's own for the rear.

Huh, that's good to know. So there's no chance of compatibility with BP/BL rear suspension pieces? Knowing Subaru, you'd think they wouldn't change that much (witness the cross-platform compatibility of suspension bits on various Legacy/Impreza/Forester models spanning more than a decade...)

Team Pony Express

Quick perusal of japanparts.com (whose pictures would have prevented my previous faux pas) shows coilovers from Tein, Cusco, Liberal and Zero Sport, as well as STi pink springs & dampers, and Syms springs...so I think you've got plenty of chassis-specific options, constrained only by how much you're willing to shell out :D
Team Pony Express

Thanks! Of the minimal research Ive done in the last few days, the consensus is exactly that. Front sus. matches fine, rear is totally different. No biggie, its a daily driver anyhow, I just want a tad bit better handling. Also, its a 5 speed. Im surprised, I filled it up, and have gone 60 miles or so, and the gas needle is still pegged above full. Im loving it!

Thanks! Of the minimal research Ive done in the last few days, the consensus is exactly that. Front sus. matches fine, rear is totally different. No biggie, its a daily driver anyhow, I just want a tad bit better handling. Also, its a 5 speed. Im surprised, I filled it up, and have gone 60 miles or so, and the gas needle is still pegged above full. Im loving it!

The absolute lowest I've gotten is 20mpg and the highest I've gotten is 33mpg. Keep a light foot and you'll be surprised at how slowly that gas needle will descend. Nothing like your RS I'm sure ;)

You say you just want a little better handling...well, do you want to lower the car at all? or are you fine with the stock height?

The most common suspension upgrade among 3rd generation Legacy owners is KYB GR-2 struts and shocks paired up with H&R sport springs, which lower the car about an inch and a half. This setup, along with a Whiteline or Rallitek rear swaybar will make a significant improvement in handling and will greatly decrease the hideous body roll allowed by the 13mm stock sway bar. The KYB/H&R combo runs around $500 and the bar you can pick up for around $175.

Keep us updated!

Right on. The dampening is alright, its the roll I wanna get rid of. I looked on japanparts and saw an 18, 19, and 22mm bar for the rear. I wonder what the ideal/neutral front rear sway setup is. I guess Ill check out whiteline. I just wanted to keep the cost down as this is my beater, hence the compatibility questions.

Archived