LegacyGT.com

CEL P0420 81K mi - still under warranty?

bman

I bought a 2005 2.5i OB from a used car dealer in RI last year. After a couple of months I got the CEL and pulled the P0420 code. The CEL sometimes clears itself otherwise I disconnect the battery and it goes away for weeks. The last two times the CEL came back when the engine was under acceleration (ie. on-ramp). The problem is that the CEL code came on at 78K miles and now it has 81K miles. I read that there are issues with the cats for this model year but, since it's over 80K miles is a dealership gonna cover this?

Thanks,

Brian

PS: Other than the CEL (and a previously posted issue with the defroster-radio) the car runs fine.

Well, if it came on 3,000 miles ago that is your fault for not taking it in. There are issues with cats for quite some time, not just that year. I doubt it will be covered being you are beyond the coverage time. They could work with you being you did not take it in right away to have it looked at, but not likely.
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

It will dictate if the vehicle is certified for sale in states which have adopted the same standards for emissions controls as California and are registered for use in those states. The following states have the same warranty as CA, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, and Vermont only
[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Is there some way to figure out if the vehicle is certified? Or do I have to cough up the $50 service fee to find out? Also if the cat *is* bad and I don't want to do the work, is the car flagged in MA such that I can't get an inspection sticker anymore?

Is there some way to figure out if the vehicle is certified? Or do I have to cough up the $50 service fee to find out? Also if the cat *is* bad and I don't want to do the work, is the car flagged in MA such that I can't get an inspection sticker anymore?

I live in Va, I do not know how your inspections work. We have a seperate Emission(it will fail that) and Safety inspections here.

A Subie deal could tell whether your car has the warranty. I think the rule in MA for an inspection sticker is if the ratio of the cost to repair versus cost of the vehicle is greather than 10% you will get a pass (as best I recall) unless it is a safety issue. So I think you may be stuck one way or another. Some have had luck getting a cat for cheap at a salvage lot.

Archived