LegacyGT.com

P0011, Turbo whining like mad

RayC

Driving home today, not even on boost, just cruising in 5th around 45mph (it was snowing, even) my CEL comes on and the cruise starts flashing. Odd, i think to myself, as the car was functioning normally. Well, it was normal until i hit the throttle. Turbo whine. Loud. Bad turbo whine. Really bad. No boost. Does it in neutral. Loud.

P0011 is camshaft position bank A overadvanced.

If a turbo goes like this, is it normal to go when you're not even under boost? I think maybe the uppipe or something let something thru.

Second question - i thought that when i bought my car it was a "certified used vehicle" because that's what subaru told me, but i'm playing phone tag right now with service, then finance, and they're telling me my car ISN'T certified even tho i ******* was told it was, and that they cant cover it.

Super.

So, in this (very upset) rant, can i unplug the wastegate actuator and just drive the car naturally aspirated until i can get this resolved? I still need to do the whole go to work thing.

Also, how much are known good used turbos going for? What size is this stock snail? I'm pretty good with working on my cars by myself, but i really, honestly thought that this was a warranty item.

Thanks in advance for any reply. I apologize for being quite mad, but i really am pissed right now.

-Ray

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited 5 spd, 69k miles. Not even abused (i have a merkur for that). Daily driven. Mobil 1 5w30. Really.

okay, in reading a bit in the tuning section it looks like the stock VF40 goes fairly regularily.

i'm not looking to make my car super fast or anything, i just wanted a reliable daily driver.

removed intercooler, checked inside (slightly oily, i assume that's normal). pulled heat shield off turbo (why does SOA use 8 or 9 bolts?), removed wastegate actuator arm from wastegate. removed banjo bolt on turbo, no plug. removed banjo bolt from asinine location in front / below turbo, slightly plugged up screen. cleaned that out found that slightly meant a bit more than slightly. assume this is why the turbo failed. cleaned / reinstalled (any tips on how to get that inner crush washer back on easily? it was a CHORE). pulled codes again: P0011, P0021.

started car with waste gate open, no noise, sounds fine. reconnect wastegate and whine whine siren whistle. now on the hunt for a new / known good used VF40 or equivalent.

Since it looks like my "certified used" vehicle doesn't have the 100k warranty they told me i'd have (i still need to look / find my paperwork), i might go with a slightly bigger turbo, headers, up/ downpipe / reflash. why not, right?

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a used (but almost new- less than 500 miles) VF46 off an 07 specB.

I disconnected the wastegate actuator, warmed the car up, changed the oil, flushed a quart of oil thru the motor with the plug out (to get anything out that could be in there) then during the turbo install i removed the banjo bolt, removed the screen, and put in new copper crush washers.

Car runs great now.

I'm pretty good with a wrench, but since it was my first time it was maybe a 3.5 hour job. Lots of fittings in annoying places.

Good luck.

edit - also, for that banjo fitting on the back of the head it's pretty handy to have a 17mm stubby wrench. I didn't have one (only had other sizes for other cars) but i didn't have a complete set so i went to advance auto, bought a cheap set of full size wrenches, and cut them all in half with my chop saw. ;) voila, instant full stubby wrench kit for under $15.

Archived