LegacyGT.com

ecutek to opensource tune question

spartan

Just wondering what the error code that is given on ecuflash reads when your ECU has been locked by ECUtek? I have records showing the car was tuned via ECUtek when I bought it, but I would like to go opensource. The car was tuned on 12/23/05. I have tried to read the ecu with ecuflash but am getting the error

"[17:06:59.911] Using interface OpenPort 1.3 Subaru TX48A8wd7c9774d51d1988f9a6be83e13ee17b47802c71d6

[17:07:08.864] kernel get version

[17:07:09.225] SSM2 init

[17:07:09.385] SSM2 ECU ID is 2F 12 78 52 06

[17:07:09.475] Requesting Seed...

[17:07:09.535] Sending Key...

[17:07:09.645] interface close

[17:07:09.655] interface close"

Does this mean that my ecu is locked?

I ran into the same issue on my old car. ECutek locks out your ECU so it cant be accessed or reflashed. I even had the dealer try and they said they couldnt do it (i dunno if they were Bull sh*ting me or not)

What i had to do was find a tuner that uses ECutek and have them remove it and put it back to stock. It was a pain in the ass.

It might be possible to overwrite it with an accessport, but i havent tried this.

If the car was tuned by EcuTek, you need to go to an EcuTek tuner to have the ECU returned to stock. After that you can use EcuFlash to reflash it.

That said, I get the same messages you posted if I do the "click OK" and "turn key" steps in the order that EcuFlash suggests. I have to do it in the reverse order for it to work.

I will have to try that tonight. Sucks for me though, the nearest ecutek tuner is 2.5 hours away in Chicago, plus it is going to cost me $50 to have it taken off :mad:

I feel your pain, I had to drive 1.5 hours each way.

The $50 is B.S tho, if you tell them you bought the car like that and you just need it removed they should do it for free. I would tell them you spoke to an ECUtek rep and they told you any ECUtek dealer should remove it for free. I bet you they will cave and do it for free. :cool:

And on a side note, the way ECUtek does business and makes it impossible for customers to even access their own ECU, not even for Diag purposes they lost a customer for life. I will never use any of their products.

I will have to try that tonight. Sucks for me though, the nearest ecutek tuner is 2.5 hours away in Chicago, plus it is going to cost me $50 to have it taken off :mad:

I never get tired of saying this... "Ecutek - The Flashed and the Furious"

I went through all this crap too and I also tried the dealer. No luck. Had to take mine to an Ecutek dealer also... removed for free.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

• 4 months later...

hey guys im from australia and have this same issue with ECUtek :(

i bought the car with it but want to get an open source tune and of course its locked out.

i took it back to a ECUtek tuner in Oz and they said they will only be able to retune it back to stock for $200 fee.. but apparently thats only the Tune, meaning the software will still be on there..

im stuck help..

That's weird, because I'm pretty sure I've seen EcuTek say (in other forums) that their software can be removed free of charge. Have you talked with EcuTek directly? It kinda sounds like your tuner just wants your money.

This is old, but the thread might be interesting...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14199343&postcount=59

Edit: PXDTuning offered free un-EcuTeking at some point. PDXTuning has reorganized in the meantime, but it's worth asking them...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14510891&postcount=272

Edit: Contact EcuTek... if this guy still works there: ben@ecutek.com

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16903868&postcount=323

Edit: Al and DynoFlash offers un-EcuTekking

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20161143&postcount=345

Edit: If you're electronically inclined...

http://www.openecu.org/index.php?title=SHBootMode

big thanks for the input, i will research the links you gave me...

the problem with ECUtek in australia is there is no direct ECUtek contact to my knowledge.. alot of guys/girls i know have the same problem...

were all stuck and being forced to tune with one of the resellers (all are overpriced and not a good reputation)

as per there website they refer the contact to resellers http://www.ecutek.com.au/index.php?option=com_qcontacts&view=category&catid=48

If you can't find a reseller who will return your ECU to stock, send a message to EcuTek and let them know how much you regret buying a product that you can't use without paying a fortune and can't remove without paying a fortune. See if you can motivate EcuTek to either do something about their Aus resellers or provide service directly.

Also, bump that Nasioc thread and vent a little. Maybe EcuTek will do something... I assume that they still want to protect their reputation, and it's been pretty damaged by this whole mess.

thanks for the help NSFW and Jim

i have shot of an email to Ben @ ECUtek and DynoFlash asking for help on this matter.. I dont know how far i will get being so far away but im willing to ship my ECU to either of them if they prove to be willing to assist.

As i mentioned there are a number of us in Australia stuck with the same issue so we appreciate your assistance on this.

When i have word from them i will update..

Guys, as you suggested Ben @ ecutek was a BIG help and got me in contact with our main reseller here in Australia..

He managed to work through my issue and get me to the point of getting the green light to take my car to my local reseller and have the OEM ROM loaded onto my ECU.. does that sound right?

I was advised this will leave minor history and license info on the ECU but at least it will allow other NON ECUtek tuners access (e.g open source)

Im yet to actually have it done but i hoping for smooth sailing from here on

Big thanks again for your help

Ben was awesome.

I had trouble with my DynoFlash tune (this was back in 2005) - and guess what, just like everyone else in the Subaru community warned me at the time, Al was totally unresponsive.

Ben took over, and worked through the issue, along with ECUTeK-UK and Jarrad over at PDXTuning.

On another note, my installation CD for EasyECU was corrupt, but Ben took care of that right-away, taking the necessary information and mediating between myself and ECUTeK, NA.

I chose to stay with ECUTeK - a choice that PDXTuning offered me, at the time of my re-tune - simply because it does lock out my ECU. It prevents me from doing anything really stupid, like attempting to tune my car. I really don't have the knowledge level for it. :redface: With as powerful of a tool as RomRaider and AccessPORT was/is, I'd have fallen prey to temptation a long time ago.

FWIW, I also recall the same as NSFW, that ECUTeK will, upon the direct request of the license-holder (the user of the ECU), remove their ECU "lock," free-of-charge. If a tuner's charging you for doing that, spartan, that's just not Kosher, and ECUTeK should intervene on your behalf.

----

gtspec84 -

He managed to work through my issue and get me to the point of getting the green light to take my car to my local reseller and have the OEM ROM loaded onto my ECU.. does that sound right?

I was advised this will leave minor history and license info on the ECU but at least it will allow other NON ECUtek tuners access (e.g open source)

This sounds right to me, and this service should be free.

Glad yuou were able to get the problem solved. :)

I'll stick with ECUTeK for as long as I can - Ben and ECUTeK have proved their worth to me, when I was having problems.

However, if I do reach a technical limitation, as brother jim1969 did with his setup, I also won't hesitate to go to either Cobb or OpenSource. After all, a technical limitation is just that - a technical limitation.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ :(

I truly am sorry to hear that, my friend. :( When was this? My issues took place in the third quarter of 2006. Did things (C/S) get worse? That would certainly drive me away, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

This spring. EcuTek made some software changes for their tuners which my tuner was having issues with after my tranny took a dump. We needed patches from EcuTeK and they were very slow to reply. My car was a paperweight for a week waiting for their help. Then when things still weren't right, I bit the bullet and went Cobb. Hated to have to spend again on engine management but what was my choice. EcuTek has very limited support here in the US, few tuners now that opensource is popular, and they seem to be more involved in the UK in diesel and Mitsubishi cars.

^ Gotcha.

Man, that really sucks to hear. :( Sorry you had that kind of response from them - it's certainly not right. :(

Archived