LegacyGT.com

Ball joints??

Difficult to replace? I don't exactly remember the structure but I think I damaged the sheath/casing around the ball joint when I popped the steering knuckle out previously. I had to pry it out of the steering knuckle when I replaced the cv joints/half shaft and now hear a noticeable pop when I go over a bump... Doesn't seem to difficult to replace but if anybody had any suggestions that'd be cool. Thanks!

Brian

I just pulled the original ball joints out of my 91. The were pretty much fused in there, and, as stated above, there was no way in hell I would have gotten them out without my puller.

The trickiest part is, you have to take that bolt out of the ring securing the balljoint on the knuckle without breaking the head off of it. Soaking it in penetrating oil for a couple days doesn't hurt. I also took a torch to mine for a minute.

Seperating the knuckle from the control arm is easier if you either buy or rent a puller. Pickle forks are useless, and only do more damage.

Once you break the balljoint free, and the bolt which securs the balljoint to the knuckle is removed you can tap it out, using a chisel and a BFH, or whatever you choose. No need to be too careful with removal, seeing you are replacing it.

I do recommend when you put the new one in, be sure the new balljoint doesn't get pinched between the control arm, or else you'll rip the boot, and your $45 just went out the window.

Archived