LegacyGT.com

Huge problem

I am curious about the ones on ebay.. I keep seeing 05 black housings on ebay but I dont know if they're OEM or just oem look-a-likes.They're MUCH cheaper than the dealer asks.

I hade to get a replacement headlight assembly a couple years ago and got one off Ebay for like $130. Can't tell the difference between that one and the stock one still. Definitely better just to get the cheaper headlight you will never know the difference and theres no fitment issues.

Secondly, people were saying theyve used extra silicone while clearing the headlights? I just re-baked mine and made the sealant more malleable so I could seal it over again, no extra silicone needed. This could possibley why the headlight looks the way it does?

:iam:

Ouch. Sounds like the cleaner may be the culprit.

I used some additional silicone when I closed up the lenses the first time and had a bit of fogging. Another member (mr_luv) suggested that I reheat the lenses and then reseal them. I believe that CTATV also described that process.

No issues at all with fogging, etc. for 2 years now.

It almost looks like you stuck the lens plastic in a bag with a lot of superglue and the fumes ate into the lens. I can see the lens melting if it was too hot, but not fogging like that.

Did you check fr prints? Vandallism?? May be more here then meets the eye.;)

I hade to get a replacement headlight assembly a couple years ago and got one off Ebay for like $130. Can't tell the difference between that one and the stock one still. Definitely better just to get the cheaper headlight you will never know the difference and theres no fitment issues.

Secondly, people were saying theyve used extra silicone while clearing the headlights? I just re-baked mine and made the sealant more malleable so I could seal it over again, no extra silicone needed. This could possibley why the headlight looks the way it does?

:iam:

good to know.. I could buy some of those, take them apart and do some custom work to them then. :D heck of a lot better than $600 or so from the dealer for an "experiment."

I used exrta sealant.. not because I HAD to for sealing, but because when I pried them apart I did so on a rug.. which.. I was not aware.. had dog hair all over it, and it got into the silicone. :lol:

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

do you have HID's?

If so, maybe the hole you've created for the wires to pass through might be transferring moisture from the outside?

?...it's not moisture, it was physical damage to the lense...:rolleyes:

And +1000 on the cleaner that was used...even if it didnt do the damage directly itself, whatever residue (which can be nearly impossible to get off with some bug/tar removers) that was on the lens when it was warmed up likely started a reaction with the plastic. I still say go at it with sandpaper and polish (heavier grit and repeated attacks if need be), from the pics it really doesnt look like it went all the way through...

It was the Harley Davidson Bug and Tar remover

i use that cleaner all the time but then i don't heat it. w/o looking i would say it must have some kind of solvent in it.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Did you paint them? Maybe the paint you used wasnt fully dry and had some sort of weird reaction with the lens after it was sealed back up?

now thats something I hadn't thought of..

you did mention you blacked them out right?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I did paint them, but I gave them plenty of time to dry. A few hours after the final coat. I'm leaning towards the cleaner that I used and a reaction after I resealed them.

I just bought a new set of ebay and hopefully I'll have better luck with them. Definitely not going to use cleaner on them and I'm also going to make sure that I give them about a full day to dry and set back up before they go back on the car.

Thanks for the help though guys

duck keep us informed on those ebay specials. I'm still interested in that. I kind of want to black out part of mine and do an hid retrofit.

btw what paint did you use?

+1 on letting it dry 24 hours. I would just as a precaution if nothing else.. although if you gave it a few hours it seems like any gasses released by the paint as it dried would not have been the issue unless it was some kind of non-plastic paint or something?

I guess I nice thing is that I'll have an extra set of projectors that I think I'll do a retrofit of my R6 headlights with. It will basically get the front end to look like this

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/buduck04/ProjectorsonR6.jpg

I'm just not sure how well the projectors would fit in my housing. Time for a little research I believe

calibrate that oven??? looks like the temp IMO was more than 225. did mine, no extra sealant, just use rubber vice grips and put back in over for slight bake after clearing!!! good luck bro! ebay can be great, or it can be hell. just check out the seller before you BUY IT NOW!

Yeah i didnt have anything like that when i did mine, we simply just baked them and then took them apart, took the piece out and then rebaked them and used a heat gun to get a final seal i didnt use any chemicals. I think that's where you had the epic failure.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 2 weeks later...

Archived