LegacyGT.com

Pulled over in CT for no license plate..how many?

I know the whole point of the front plate is for the radar gun. More and more cars are being made with plastic bumpers. The police need something for the signal to get bounced off of.

One more reason to not have one - decreasing the chances of a speeding ticket. I think that's worth the ~$75 failure to display violation...

I get pulled over every few months in NJ for no front plate, it's usually a warning since my record is clean.

I found a hide-away plate bracket from I think Swift Motorsports that you can attach under your bumper, it'll fold in when you don't feel like showing it.

So far never harrassed for it not being on there, even after being pulled over. I did however, get a ticket overnight for not having it, when I was parked on the street. Guess that guy had nothing better to do that night :rolleyes:

Every car in CT I've owned has never had a front plate. I always request the dealers to not put the plate on, but give me the holder just in case.

Although, my dad (driving a Chevy 2500 box van) has gotten nailed for not having a plate, literally 2 days after he had knocked the front plate off due to a parking mishap. So, I guess it all depends on what kind of douche of an officer you get.

Did you end up getting a holder for your legacy?

I know the whole point of the front plate is for the radar gun. More and more cars are being made with plastic bumpers. The police need something for the signal to get bounced off of.

Not RADAR, you're thinking LIDAR (LASER). :)

Although the laser can be bounced off just about anything - yes, you can even aim it at a vehicle's greenhouse glass, it'll still read - the state-issued metallic front plate is *super* highly "retro-reflective." (BTW, a red vehicle, unfortunately, also sees a rather strong "LIDAR return" - color wise, in a quantitative manner, it's among the worst, for your LIDAR profile.)

It's a huge "point weakness," and yes, enforcers in states/areas where the front-plate is mandatory are often taught to aim either selectively at it, or at "center mass" of vehicle.

RADAR will bounce off your entire vehicle - the presence or absence of the front plate is inconsequential.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived