LegacyGT.com

Looking at a 2007 & a 2008 Legacy SpecB

johnnymack

I've had fun in the WRX. I'm looking for a little more luxury/refinement in my next car. I also want a 6 speed and something I can mod.

Questions:

1. Any difference between the 07 and 08 SpecB's?

2. How does tuning work with the variable driving mode option? (Whatever its called S-drive? si drive?)

3. Are Legacy's more expensive to mod than WRX's?

4. It is reasonable to think a 400whp Legacy SpecB could be my daily driver?

5. Is the 6 sp tranny as strong as/the same as the STi tranny? Could it withstand a decent amount of HP?

Thanks for any/all responses in advance!

1. Yes the bodys are slightly different

2. I mode only lets you reach 7psi, it basically limits your car to 40% open throttle to save you gas. And tuning is stil leasy and worth it

3. Pretty much all subie parts are around the same price range, the new WRX and legacy actually have the same engine/intercooler just a different turbo and tune so alot of parts actually match up to both cars.

4. 400whp could be used as a DD but how long do you think stock internals will last with 460ish crank hp

5. The 6 speed is the same as the STI, but noone ever knows how much a tranny can take. If you dont beat on it im sure it would last a long time but i have seen built manual trannys break with stock power if you launch hard enough with sticky tires and slam gears hard enough you can brake any tranny.

guru is right on all but missed that the Spec B tranny does not have the CDDC.

Just from Stage 0 to stage 1 its nice having the SI drive do limit your boost when using your car as a DD and then you can unlock the full potential in sport#. Its nice.

I came from a WRX and when i got into the Legacy in I mode the car felt like it has more power. Later i found out the legacys actualyl spool sooner than the WRXs.

guru is right on all but missed that the Spec B tranny does not have the CDDC.

Just from Stage 0 to stage 1 its nice having the SI drive do limit your boost when using your car as a DD and then you can unlock the full potential in sport#. Its nice.

I came from a WRX and when i got into the Legacy in I mode the car felt like it has more power. Later i found out the legacys actualyl spool sooner than the WRXs.

Got the letters a little mixed up its DCCD, and only the STI has that feature

J-Mack, get the Legacy Man. BTW it is me from the meet. BIG BLACK with the 2.5i Legacy hehe. I think you would love it man. Your WRX has a nice build, I think with some nice motor parts and sways and springs you will like the car even more then the WRX. Going from an STI to the 2.5i is very different but I love it. Car still performs great in the twisties. GO FOR IT.

I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I agree with what everybody has had to say but I have a different opinion of SI drive. I think it's an absolutely useless feature. I would assume that very few peple drive in intelligent mode. Default is Sport mode and you can shift to Sport sharp. The only differences between sport and sport sharp is the throttle response. Why do I need a button to do what my foot already does?? Can't really comment much on intelligent mode because I've never used it and never will.

LGTs are probably more expensive to mod than a WRX because there are a hell of a lot less options. You can finds parts for a WRX everywhere and because of it they are typically a little cheaper. I'm not saying that the LGT mods are way more expensive but they will cost you more than WRX parts.

You could have a 400 whp LGT as a daily driver ... but it's probably more hassle than its worth. You're talking approximately 500 hp at the crank. You'll probably require mods in the $20,000+ range to get there and you'll probably have to upgrade some of the engine internals.

Now 300 whp is probably another story. You can achieve that with some reliability. My car hasn't been on the dyno but based on results of other members with the same setup that's probably where I am. Use my 07 SpecB as a d/d and am extremely happy with it.

LGT and WRX/STI powertrains are virtually the same, now even more so with 08+ Impreza being essentially Legacy hatch.

Same mod potential and cost! Few less choices in exterior mods I guess. About the same in every other department. These are essentially same cars, just different packaging.

I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I agree with what everybody has had to say but I have a different opinion of SI drive. I think it's an absolutely useless feature. I would assume that very few peple drive in intelligent mode. Default is Sport mode and you can shift to Sport sharp. The only differences between sport and sport sharp is the throttle response. Why do I need a button to do what my foot already does?? Can't really comment much on intelligent mode because I've never used it and never will.

I use "I" all the time. :lol: Get on the highway about 60-65 mph and have it in S# mode, then punch down to "I" mode without altering your throttle input and see how much more the gas mileage goes up by (according to the in car MPG computer). You may be surprised, and S# is just a thumb move away ('08+).

I use "I" all the time. :lol: Get on the highway about 60-65 mph and have it in S# mode, then punch down to "I" mode without altering your throttle input and see how much more the gas mileage goes up by (according to the in car MPG computer). You may be surprised, and S# is just a thumb move away ('08+).

There have been posts showing that S and S# produce the same performance numbers on a dyno. And all of these modes are available on 07 MY as well.

I can't comment on I mode because I don't use it. It sounds off to me that the feature would improve mileage on the highway as you describe because the same amount of fuel is used to keep you at the same speed. Doesn't the mode just make the overall driving experience a little slower and less responsive??

I'm certainly not questioning your experience and happiness with I mode or the SI drive system overall. For me if I'm concerned about mileage I take it easy and try to drive out of boost. Hey everybody is concerned with money and mileage .... especially today. I am aware of it but I'm also concerned about the overall driving experience of wouldn't have gone with the vehicle I did. I just figure if I want to take it easy and conserve fuel I don't need a computer to do that .... my foot is capable of doing the same thing.

I've gotten the best mileage in the car in S/S# mode. Obviously that doesn't work if you floor it everywhere, but driving smoothly in those modes seems to net better mpg. The only time I use I-mode is in severe winter weather conditions.

from my experience with I mode when im doing 65-70 holding speed the tach is at about 3.4k. when i hit S# its then 3.8K and im accelerating without changing my throttle position. and yes I mode does have less response and retards boost but for someone like me with a heavy foot its good for me to keep the milage up. but even in I the car is quick and my friends who have driven my car and other turbo cars like my car and they didnt even know it was only in I till they were in third at WOT and i hit S# and the car just took off.. LOVE IT!!!

J-Mack, get the Legacy Man. BTW it is me from the meet. BIG BLACK with the 2.5i Legacy hehe. I think you would love it man. Your WRX has a nice build, I think with some nice motor parts and sways and springs you will like the car even more then the WRX. Going from an STI to the 2.5i is very different but I love it. Car still performs great in the twisties. GO FOR IT.

Hey man! Its a local! I'm getting closer to finding a new Subaru...excellent responses. Thanks for the info and advice. We'll see where it takes me...

Archived