LegacyGT.com

E46 M3 or LegacyGT

I have always wanted an E46 M3. But so did everyone else, and they were always expensive. I have a problem, where I always want to switch out cars. BUt I also have a very strong sense of reason (or not), so I figured I'd buy a nice new car, and bury myself in it, so I stop thinking about buying used cars every 9 months. And I am very happy with my purchase, and the car (LGT 5spd). Why do I then keep thinking about an 01 M3, which now sell for lower 30's? I need many good reasons as to why I'm being an idiot :)

Well actually the 3-series does not cost a ton to maintain becuase for a small fee you can have the warrenty uped to 6year/100,000, BMW pays for everything under warranty all you do is pay for the car, some people are quick to bash but don't realize how good BMW service programs really are. 6yr/100,000 is already standard on the M3s after their early production engine problems. Still made a good choice though, both cars are great, if not for totally different tasks.

Song of Post- Steel Pulse- Brown Eyed Girl

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

Another thing to consider is insurance costs too. As soon as some insurers hear the magic "M3" word you can hear the cash register sound coming from their heads.

don't forget the dollar sign on their eyes. $_$

This Space For Rent

i bet the new M3 won't even have a 6-speed available. i think the E46 will be the last of the "classics"

BMW have said the E90 M3 will indeed have a conventional 6 speed, alongside the SMG 7 speed. But it'll be bastardized pretty much every other way...heh.

G'Day Everyone..........

alostsok, I have NO IDEA where you are getting your information about the M , but seriously it would be the best 30+K you have ever spent. The M needs/requires TLC and seriously is uncomparable to the current GT. The M maybe expensive to maintain but 05Leg has my back by saying they are not that expensive to maintain as long as you maintain the 6yr/100K warranty.

**** NEWS FLASH ****

The new E90M will have a 7Speed SMGIII unit that is found in the new M5. The new M3 will also come with an upgraded transmission and gearbox from the E46M. Meaning THE E90M will have 6MT.

For further information, come and check out M3Forum.com which I am also a MOD at. All the best guys.

Adam.

i what information? i thought i made it clear that i'm clueless? :)

i didn't understand the second sentence at all, but i know the M3 kicks ass. I was saying I am still sad I don't own one.

maybe i'm slow right now, i'l re-read your post later

***WARNING***

---OFF TOPIC---

Ahh yeah its happening as we speak. Engine is still to be chosen between the outgoing M3 engine, the S54 333BHP I6 or the new V8 4.? 400BHP engine. Hoping they slot the new V8 in with 405BHP because that means the M3 will have a lot more to distance it from the MZ4. Something in the range of 444BHP would be great, giving the CSL around 470 - 480BHP, keeping it just behind the M5 & M6. The power struggle is well into full swing. IF you want more specific info on anything M related come join M3Forum.com as Im a mod there too.

All the best.

Adam.

Personally, if I could swing the payments, I'd take an E46 M3 over an '05 Legacy GT anyday. But these cars are in two different classes altogether (in terms of both price and performance).

However, I'll have no regrets owning a 2.5 LGT. I'm itching for tubo charged power again anyway...

-CD

Feel like paying $150 for an oil change? The 01 will most likely be out of warranty, if oil changes are that much imagine what anything else would cost.

Keep the LGT until you don't have to worry about the maintenance expense.

Thats a misguided view, the oil changes are not that expensive, and you only do them when the computer recommends an oil change (I know people don't like follwoing the computer). I have gone 17k km between oil changes. Its synthetic oil 0w60 weight.

You don't have to be hella rich to afford one. I bought an M3 after selling my '94 Integra :p If you plan to mod it though, you better have a big bank account. 19" HRE rims will run you about 5G's US, exhaust, close to 2k US, etc etc etc (mine still stock and will be for a long time).

As for insurance, this is what we pay (my wife and I) for both of us, with full coverage.

M3 - $1483 CAD/yr

'05 LGT - $925 CAD

'97 legacy L - $698 CAD

Why sacrifice one for the other :p

http://www.wardphotography.net/lgt/IMG_1059.JPG

ripping it up at Solo2. I'll let you know how the LGT compares on the autocross track in the spring ;)

http://www.wardphotography.net/big-blue-dragon/m3/CRW_6018.jpg

Archived