LegacyGT.com

Help! my new legacy is acting very very weird!!

Gimpy117

I am baffled...perhaps you know...:confused:

story is as follows:

my 1990 subaru legacy was seeming to have low electrical power, my wipers were running very slow, my csbin fans were also running very slow. later, the problem went away. then on the second day in the morning (it was cold I dunno if it makes a difference) the car began to do the same thing but this time when the brakes were depressed, the radio became garbled. It started just fine but, randomly it began to run very very rough with low power after I stopped for a light and finally stalled 300 feet down the road. I reattached a battery cable that was hastily attached by wrappng it around the other wires by a former owner assuming it was the problem, but was baffled to have found that my battery was dead. So I got a jump and it ran great. tonight two days after, I was baffled again to have the slow wipers and another odd issue, when I depressed the gas pedal, my running and panel lights actually dimmed drastically. this went on for a good 2 min and then stopped (except for the slow wipers). Luckily It did not stall. On a side note, I recently replaced my alternator.

Sounds very much like a bad alternator. I have a weak battery and alternator and my engine idles a bit low, so if I let it idle to long with the headlights on I get the same symptoms of you. Lights dim way down, blower goes slow, wipers go slow, eventually the engine starts running rough, and then dies when the battery dies...

Carry a volt meter with you, and next time this happens check your voltage. While you are driving it shouldn't be below 13v.

It's not doing it yet...I'll keep an eye out...but the alternator is brand new. I did check the subwoofer power cables and it had some oxidization like it was discharging on something so I wrapped it in electrical tape...I hope it's stopped because it hasn't come back so far...

Archived