LegacyGT.com

Stick or Auto

Hi guys i just joined tonight, i dont know if this has been covered, i was just wondering what most people buy in the legacy gt limited....mostly stick or auto???

Thanks.........and if auto was bought would it be a waste of a good car?

there was a discussion on stick v auto, just a matter of doing a search.

i think one of the simple ways to quell the issues is look at it in at least one of 2 ways:

if you are more towards performance, and your driving habits and location isnt stop and go, then stick is the way to go.

if you driving mostly in the city, with stop and go, auto is a good choice.

the auto is a little slower than the stick, but that is to be expected.

of course, this is merely one opinion, and overly simplified.:D

and welcome to the board!

I guess if you even have to think about it, you probably aren't seriously interested in a manual tranny.

I wanted the manual anyway, but I test-drove each one, and IMHO the manal was noticeably quicker and more responsive. I don't even care about heavy traffic...what else do you have to do with your left foot, anyway?

If my wife had to drive it, she could, but she had to give up a manual when she tore up her already-bad left knee. I can see reasons for having to live with an auto, with situations like hers or others with limitations, bt if you are truly into performance, a manual is the only way to go.

The availability of a manual tranny was one of the top three necessities when I went through the purchase process before buying this car (along with AWD or RWD, and four doors).

Ron

I tested both also. And in the past I have test driven the VW passat with the sport shift. And with the VW when you hit the button to shift, it shifts. The auto stick on the GT didn't shift very quick, there was a huge dely for me when i was driving it. I think if the auto stick in the subaru was quicker it would have been more appealing to me, especially for resale. See I plan on keeping my GT forever so thats why I went MT

learn from my mistakes! .. i purchased a lgt 5EAT .. i was pretty much 90% of the time in manual mode, 5 months later i traded it in for a 5MT. i am both happier and broker now :lol:

sooo .. if you think you will be using the sports shift a lot, .. then just get a manual.

Thanks all, i've already had a wrx and Sti...........just starting a family and wanting something bigger and more mature like...........just was in the air about staying manaul or just growing up and getting auto!

No it's not "growing up" and getting an auto, it's "growing old" and getting an auto. Automatics are for my 87-year-old Dad (I'm 54)!!

Ron

I guess if you even have to think about it, you probably aren't seriously interested in a manual tranny.

I wanted the manual anyway, but I test-drove each one, and IMHO the manal was noticeably quicker and more responsive. I don't even care about heavy traffic...what else do you have to do with your left foot, anyway?

If my wife had to drive it, she could, but she had to give up a manual when she tore up her already-bad left knee. I can see reasons for having to live with an auto, with situations like hers or others with limitations, bt if you are truly into performance, a manual is the only way to go.

The availability of a manual tranny was one of the top three necessities when I went through the purchase process before buying this car (along with AWD or RWD, and four doors).

That sounds a bit like me. My left knee is not that bad yet but i keep injuring it and it is getting worse. Right now it's all bruised and swolen from dodging a kid after i landed a jump and wiped when i saw the kid. oh well maybe i can have another trip without a wipe this weekend.

I've happy with the manual, and getting happier with it every day. I knew I wanted a manual though and when I test drove cars with an auto, it felt like it was missing something. My first vehicle I ever drove was a manual, and then I drove an auto for 8 years after that. I'm glad to be driving a manual again.

• 2 weeks later...
I missed a manual when i had my IS Sportcross and had to get the manual in the GT I just love driving it even though I do a lot of driving in Charlotte. I am 54 also and my wife says I am crazy but i love driving it

If you really want a manual, I would recommend waiting for the 2006 model, which could get a 6-speed manual and is better suited and more reliable than the current 5-speed manual. Search the forums and you will find people having problems with their 5MT and none with their 5EAT.

If you don't want to wait and have to get the car right now, go for the 5EAT because :

:

1. There are no 5EAT specific issues, less problems, 6 months and over 10K miles and not a single problem. With the 5MT, you got stink and other documented issues

2. If the 2006 model is better and you want it, the 5EAT will have a better resale or trade-in value, than the 5MT

3. If it's your only family car, your wife may not be 5MT-friendly and you would not want to be shifting all the time with babies in the car, and everytime you slip the clutch, and the hazardous and toxic STINK maybe harmful, unless it's your weekend and/or track, then go for the 5MT, but I would still wait for the 2006 model to see if it had the robust 6MT.

Everytime a 5MT owner complains about their transmission, I feel bad for him/her because I don't want their opinion of Subaru to be tainted or diminished, so I just recommend going for the 5EAT or the more robust 6MT. Other than the 5MT transmission, Subaru cars are bullet proof.

I keed I keeed

I'd stick it!

Keefe

P.S. I will NEVER EVER GO BACK TO AUTO.. I dont care if I lived in LA with bumper to bumper traffic, stick is all worth it. Also, I dont have a clutch complaint, never had, never will, it's a driver's error 90% of the times anyways for tranny damage.

Keefe

Archived