LegacyGT.com

Starting Problems

I bought a 1998 Legacy GT two weeks ago. My wife took it for a drive last night and got stranded. The car would not cranlk over. This morning I took a look at it. I checked the battery with a multimeter and the voltage was normal. I tried to start the car and the dash lights lit up but the starter did nothing. I swap batteries with the car I drove over there just to make sure I had a good battery. I cleaned the cables and checked the cables for any shorts or damage and they were good. I tried to start the car again and again it wouldn't crank. When I opened the door the alarm went off so I disconnected the positive terminal on the battery and called a tow truck. When the tow truck got there the driver wanted the window down so I reconnected the battery. Just for fun I tried to start the car and it cranked up fine. I drive it home and started it over a dozen times with no problems. I think the starter is going so I am going to replace it. My question is could it be something other than the starter like the ECU or the ignition switch which could have caused the problem.......Thanks

Probably starter, but if it happens again try shifting through the gears (auto, right?) and then start it. Sometimes it's a neutral start switch that is just a little out of place. Happened to me in a couple cars I've had. I moved the shfter into neutral and back to park and it started right up and never had a problem again.

Archived