LegacyGT.com

What is this light on my dash..?

I've got a 1997 Subaru Legacy station wagon model 250T and the light below has been going on and off for a while now, anyone know what it's indicating?

It doesn't seem to be related to what speed I'm doing, or how hot the car is, it can be on when the car is first started, it can be on when I've been driving for 30mins plus on the motorway...

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/MENT4L/Car/b45f357a-1.jpg

Cheers

No I don't have an owners manual, sorta hoping someone here would :)

Yes I agree it looks like heat but it's on when the engine is first started most mornings so nothings even hot yet...

Here is the exact location if that helps someone with a manual...

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww106/MENT4L/Car/b45f357a.jpg

Cheers

Where did you buy your car?

Do you have a My Subaru account?

I was looking through the owners manual for my 99 Legacy and i can't seem to find that warning light anywhere

i did find reference to it on another forum, but they were mainly concerned about the battery light

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227041

I'm gna say Austalian. In England we go by mph. He says cheers alot. And his username is mental :lol:. But he also says motorway, I'm not sure they call them that there. His English is too good for it not to be his first language. So, yeah, I'll stick with Aus or NZ.

And he's posting far too early to be european. I'm just up late.

Hi guys,

Yep I'm in New Zealand (orignally from the UK, hence the motorway), and it's an import from Japan...

I've also just been told it's the "Cat Temp Sensor Light - and may be faulty", so now need to

a) work out if it can be tested

b) where it physically is

c) where can I get/how much a new one is

Cheers

It looks like a cat warning light, and I would think it's time to take a big look under the hood when it comes to injectors (making sure that they are alright and are giving the same amount) and ignition cables/spark plugs. Also check the plugs for oil and soot, that's a giveaway.

Of course - also check that all hoses are in order so you don't have an air leak related to one cylinder causing the other cylinders run rich.

453747.png

Thanks guys!

Yep I'll give it a good going over, it needs it...

I was concerned in the first that I shouldn't be driving it, but since finding out what it is and doing some research it doesn't appear to feed back into the ECU, just need to work out now if it's the sensor, the cat, or needs a tune/etc

I now know what I'll be doing this weekend :)

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers, Mental

I spy a JDM Gen-2 speedo. Noice, welcome to the forums! Also, go check out clubsub.org.nz the guy's there now their shit about our model cars.

It is most certainly the cat temp sensor.

Problem: Catalytic converter is too hot, or sensor is broken

Solution: Remove catalytic converter.

And i really mean it, go to an exhaust shop and take the cat out man.

Archived