LegacyGT.com

Quick Cobb question and tuning cable question

GP2001

Hey guys, so I installed my Cobb AP about a month ago and all is well, I know that you are supposed to set your base map as what you plan on using the majority of the time, so I did Stage 1 93 Octane, because 93 is what we have available in my area. I am not overly concerned with the extra 2 hp or whatever I get from running the 93 map, so I was thinking just for detonation concerns to just go ahead and run the 91 map. My question is, could I just load it over to a realtime map of 91 octane and always use that? I don't see why that would be a problem, just if the battery gets disconnected I would have to switch it back again.. Let me know what you think, that valvetrain seems to be noisy on this car, was since the day I bought it, but for some reason I am paranoid about everything and want to make sure I'm safe. Speaking of which I need to start logging with RomRaider, what cable should I get to do this?

If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about it. Those OTS maps are extremely conservative and I wouldn't worry about detonation.

Thanks, I'm sure there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between running the 91 octane map with 93 octane, or running the 93 map with 93 octane. If I am getting detonation, I doubt just using the 91 octane map will fix it. I highly highly doubt its detonating, just sounds like regular nosiy valvetrain like I have heard in a million boxer motors, I just like to be overly cautious. Right now I just put it back to stock to see if I heard a differnce in the loudness of the valvetrain noise, and I don't, although its hard to tell with the hogzaust:cool:

Oh and thanks for the cable, I thought it was the tactrix. I just checked there website and it only has 3 things listed under subaru, none if which are the ones I think I need. The cheapest one is $170, I thought the one for tuning was only like $15, just a wire with a USB end and a OBD II port end.

Thanks, I'm sure there isn't a tremendous amount of difference between running the 91 octane map with 93 octane, or running the 93 map with 93 octane. If I am getting detonation, I doubt just using the 91 octane map will fix it. I highly highly doubt its detonating, just sounds like regular nosiy valvetrain like I have heard in a million boxer motors, I just like to be overly cautious. Right now I just put it back to stock to see if I heard a differnce in the loudness of the valvetrain noise, and I don't, although its hard to tell with the hogzaust:cool:

Oh and thanks for the cable, I thought it was the tactrix. I just checked there website and it only has 3 things listed under subaru, none if which are the ones I think I need. The cheapest one is $170, I thought the one for tuning was only like $15, just a wire with a USB end and a OBD II port end.

You might can find them used, but they supposedly run that much. I would undo your hogzaust mod and then listen to see if you hear the noise. I doubt it would be from the ap though. I also doubt your ap would be causing detonation. and if you are running 93 gas, you want to have the 93 map...it is designed for that gas to make the most and running a 91 map on 93 isn't going to make things that much safer. But i'm sure someone else can chime in on this. I am not an expert on the tuning aspects of these subarus. but those cables are the ones you'll need...even for data logging.

I have a V1 AP and I am using the obd2 connector to db9 that came with it to datalog via Romraider to my laptop. If you have the obd2 to usb that came with the V2 ap - you could probably use that too but I am not certain.

I have a V1 as well, I'll have to check my laptop for a db9 port, if so then I am going to get up and logging ASAP :D

I have a V1 AP and I am using the obd2 connector to db9 that came with it to datalog via Romraider to my laptop. If you have the obd2 to usb that came with the V2 ap - you could probably use that too but I am not certain.

I have an AP V2 and can use the cable that came with it to data log using AccessTuner, see the thread named opensource vs. AP

I have a V1 as well, I'll have to check my laptop for a db9 port, if so then I am going to get up and logging ASAP :D

Otherwise you just need a db9-USB and the FTDI driver and you'll be off and running too.

Let's kick this pig!

Archived