LegacyGT.com

The great SeaFoam debate

caschmidt

So I have heard several different pros and cons about seafoam. I am completely willing to put it in my fuel tank and brake booster etc. Thats NOT what im concerned about. I am debating putting it in the crank case through the oil filler cap.

On http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm it says that it is 100% petroleum

The pros Ive read:

When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

1. Frees sticky lifters and rings

2. Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression

3. Cleans dirty parts

4. Removes moisture

5. Cleans PCV valve systems

all that seems like this product works wonders, HOWEVER, If it really removes moisture, then that would mean it would have to contain an oxygenated component because pure petroleum is immiscible in water. therefore it cannot be 100% petroleum.

Please post your thoughts :spin:

No comments on the moisture removal, but I've used this in most every car I've owned. I typically do a "top engine" cleaning which depending on the car, involves injecting the seafoam into the combustion chamber via vacuum. I have a handy valve that connects to the bottle and has some hoses off it to do this. In a previous Saturn SL2, there is also a procedure that I used where you simply pour it on top of the pistons via the spark plug holes and let it sit overnight. This procedure has worked wonders for oil consuption and engine cleaning for me.

I doubt my 08 with 11k on it needs this type of treatment as of yet, still I use a can in the gas tank prior to oil changes. At some point, 15k maybe 20k I will consider adding a bit to the crank case and running it a few miles just before changing the oil.

At some point I may use it to do a top engine cleaning as well.

There are a few other chemicals that I've used for the same.. Marvel Mystery Oil, typically for the overnight piston pour, Berrymans B12, very strong, great for serious carbon build up, and GM top engine cleaner. That stuff is plain nasty and seems to be the strongest of those that I've used.

I use Seafoam in my older vehicles, and it really works via the PCV system. I've also put it in the crank case, and in the fuel system, but really didn't notice much of a difference.

If you are going to put it in the crankcase, don't put the whole can in, and only run the car a few hundred miles, so do this like a week before you plan on changing your oil.

how many miles were each of your cars at when you put it in the crank case? Did you see any signs of oil leaks after?

I personally wouldnt drive more than 10 mi with seafoam in the crank, Id change it after i ran it for a bit. Im definitely going to do the pcv and fuel tank method

The seafoam will be burned off in the crank case before it can do any cleaning. It was tested on another forum, although I cant remember which one. Putting it in your tank has been known to clean your fuel system a little bit, but the best results are yielded when poured directly into the t.b., it eat's the carbon right off everything.

Ya it says in their website

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf

That a chemical IDA is in it. the formula is C3 H6 O, which means that there IS some water in seafoam. It says its 100% petrol, but if it were pure petrol, it would not be able to remove moisture..... obviously once you put it in ur engine, trace amounts will still remain in the engine, and any water in ur oil is a definite NO-NO

• 1 month later...

"I change my oil every 3000 miles. No need to add that stuff to it. I can't imagine it'd do any good, you'd have to put HEAPS in surely to get any results."

"That a chemical IDA is in it. the formula is C3 H6 O, which means that there IS some water in seafoam. It says its 100% petrol, but if it were pure petrol, it would not be able to remove moisture..... obviously once you put it in ur engine, trace amounts will still remain in the engine, and any water in ur oil is a definite NO-NO"

Sea foam is great in the crank case, just prior to to an oil change. Like was said before a couple hundred miles would be ok. The alcohol in it is what really helps clean breaks up the gunk in the motor. Also alcohol is hygroscopic meaning it adsorbs water. It is a great product when used with common sense.

• 2 years later...

1/3 bottle in gas tank just before you fill up

1/3 bottle in oil about 100 miles before you change the oil

1/3 bottle in the vacuum lines

I did this a few months ago and the car seemed more alive after it was all said and done with. Plus the smoke show afterward is a good enough reason to do it

Archived