LegacyGT.com

HG Coolant Leak

Hey guys

well im gradually developing an HG coolant leak (Phase2) on the outside. Everytime i park my car here and there i can spot some drops and sometimes many drops on the floor. It can go from MAX to MIN in about a week. I am now seeking for opinions of what to do and my budget is currently at nort for the job. I was going to get the new LGT06 this summer but thats to be put aside. I am to either rebuild the HGs or throw in an STI engine which then again is more expencive. I got quoted in a subaru specialized shop for 1200 for both HGs and surprizingly 2000 for the pistons (2&4 - the knocking ones) Both HG's and the timing belt with the tensionners. Pretty much the entire engine covered. What do you think and what could you suggest?

If you've already developed a HG leak, I don't think that trying to plug it with the coolant conditioner is the safest way to go. Look at it this way, the HG's have already failed with an external leak, it might only be a certain amount of time before the gasket material fails along one of the internal passages and starts mixing oil & coolant. Have you checked the color of the coolant in the radiator? If it's like chocolate milk then oil & coolant have already mixed. The main thing is that you don't want the motor to run low on coolant or oil as a result of the leaks and wind up overheating / warping the heads or pistons/cylinders. That can lead to serious $$ as you would be looking at another motor.

I had a '00 Outback that developed an external HG leak like you described at about 170k miles. Within a week I had ordered the parts & pulled the heads off the motor to replace the gaskets. Not a bad job, but time consuming since I was learning and no other issues after that. If it were me, I'd get the HG / timing belts, etc job done and keep driving the car (be sure they replace the oil pump seal, cam seals, TB tensioner, etc). It should be bullet proof after the work is done for quite a while.

I absolutely agree, but it seems the OP is on a budget. The coolant conditioner was even Subaru's idea to try to fix the problem at the time, so it's worth a shot IMO.

If you've already developed a HG leak, I don't think that trying to plug it with the coolant conditioner is the safest way to go. Look at it this way, the HG's have already failed with an external leak, it might only be a certain amount of time before the gasket material fails along one of the internal passages and starts mixing oil & coolant. Have you checked the color of the coolant in the radiator? If it's like chocolate milk then oil & coolant have already mixed. The main thing is that you don't want the motor to run low on coolant or oil as a result of the leaks and wind up overheating / warping the heads or pistons/cylinders. That can lead to serious $$ as you would be looking at another motor.

I had a '00 Outback that developed an external HG leak like you described at about 170k miles. Within a week I had ordered the parts & pulled the heads off the motor to replace the gaskets. Not a bad job, but time consuming since I was learning and no other issues after that. If it were me, I'd get the HG / timing belts, etc job done and keep driving the car (be sure they replace the oil pump seal, cam seals, TB tensioner, etc). It should be bullet proof after the work is done for quite a while.

Archived