LegacyGT.com

Vibration Problem....Is it the Tires?

The_Condor

Ok, here's the history.

About a year ago I noticed car steering wheel started to vibrate after approx. 65mph. I had figured my tires where out of balance so I took the car to Firestone to have the alignment done and all 4 wheels balanced.

They told me they could not fully balance one of my wheels because the rim was bent (I have the Rota Actions 17X7.5). Realizing I had nailed a really bad pothole at freeway speeds a few weeks back, I believed them. Anyway, they put the bent wheel on the back of the car so I don't notice as much.

Fast forward 1 year later I decide to purchase new rims since this issue has been annoying me for some time. (Got the G-force 17X8) Anyway, I had a different place install new rims and move the same tires (Toyo Proxes) on the new rims. As it turns out, I still have moderate shaking over 70MPH.

I think one or more of my tires are Fu@#$. Do you guys think I should get new tires or do some more investigation? I don't think wheel bearings could cause the vibration, but I don't want to waste anymore money.

Go to a different shop to have the wheels balanced. I had the same problem, i had the shop that put the tires on the first time re-balance them when i got new rims put on and twice I had the same problem, went to firestone and the said all wheels were off by 1/4 oz., problem solved. I assume their balancing machine was out of calibration or something. Although rare i have heard that tires can be bad and cause balancing problems and make sure you have hub-centric rings.

good to know i have the EXACT same problem. i hit a pothole last week and then the vibration started when i hit the highway and went anywhere near 60MPH. i was gonna purchase new tires within the next 2 weeks anyway, but im gonna get it checked at subaru just incase it isnt the tires

I have notice this same problem since my car was new ( speed 60-70mph). Same "small" vibration problems shows with different/balanced wheels, looks like heavy wheel set ( +50lbs ) and wrong ET make this vibration much easily than light set/stock ET???

Funny thing but after new light MY08 STi Brembos and light wheelset ( abrox 38lbs ) I have lost this vibration broblem completely...:spin:

dude i have the same problem around 65 mph. i just got a bent wheel fixed, new tires and had all for rotated and balanced. still shakes. driving me crazy. what do i do????

I cut a corner too sharp once and rolled over a jersey barrier (not the top, jeesh). Bent the frame, had that straightened but, it never rode right after that.

What did you do?

Archived