LegacyGT.com

My parents seem set on the 2005 Mercury Mariner

This is what my folks are looking at getting:

2005 Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD

Black exterior with Black/Cream interior

All options.

Exterior:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2005/Mercury/100454246/031769-E.jpg

Interior:

http://www.autointell.net/nao_companies/ford/mercury/mercury-mariner-04/05MARiner-cockpit-800.jpg

- Mike

Guest *Jedimaster*
Why do they want to drive a brick? Seriously, if they want something big and comfortable, tell them to get a Grand Marquis or a Crown Victoria- those are big, comfy and get decent mileage. They're also easy to get a deal on seeing as nobody seems to want them.

I thought the escape was really small when i test drove the Hybrid model a few months ago - especially the backseat. I couldn't find any practicallity advantage in it over any other vehicle - and the offroad capability sucks, and the ride was that of a cheap - mini SUV.

My girlfriend has an 02 Mazda Tribute with the v6. It's a nice car, fun to drive actually. It feels more sporty than the Escape. Haven't driven the Mercury, but it looked nice at the auto show. Her Tribute hasn't been in for service one time ( I think there's a minor recall on them right now though). She gets better gas mileage in the Tribute than I get in my GT. Great in the snow too!

My girlfriend has an 02 Mazda Tribute with the v6. It's a nice car, fun to drive actually. It feels more sporty than the Escape. Haven't driven the Mercury, but it looked nice at the auto show. Her Tribute hasn't been in for service one time ( I think there's a minor recall on them right now though). She gets better gas mileage in the Tribute than I get in my GT. Great in the snow too!

Thanks for the info. As for the V6, the 05 Mariner has 200hp, 193 lb ft torque to move ~3400 lbs, the same engine moves the Montigeo, which is 4000+ lbs.

- Mike

Specs:

Exterior:

Length: 174.3 in.

Width: 70.1 in.

Height: 67.9 in.

Wheel Base: 103.1 in.

Ground Clearance: 8 in.

Curb Weight: 3520 lbs.

Interior:

Front Head Room: 40.4 in.

Front Hip Room: 53.4 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 56.5 in.

Rear Head Room: 39.2 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 55.9 in.

Rear Hip Room: 49.1 in.

Front Leg Room: 41.6 in.

Rear Leg Room: 35.6 in.

Luggage Capacity: 29.3 cu. ft.

Maximum Cargo Capacity: 66 cu. ft.

Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data:

Base Number of Cylinders: 6

Base Engine Size: 3 liters

Base Engine Type: V6

Horsepower: 200 hp

Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm

Torque: 193 ft-lbs.

Max Torque: 4850 rpm

Maximum Towing Capacity: 3500 lbs.

Drive Type: 4WD

Turning Circle: 35.4 ft.

Fuel Data:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.5 gal.

EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)

Automatic: : 18 mpg / 23 mpg

Range in Miles: (City/Highway)

Automatic: 297 mi. / 379.5 mi.

i tend to like the more sporty looking Toyota 4 runner in this class (are they in the same class? i am not an SUV guy)...regardless i will say that is looking sharp for an suv...i am really digging those rims...but i will stick with my GT

4Runner will be a step up, much larger truck. And it's actually built on a truck frame. It would be my pick too.

Mike,

Go back to the Toyota dealer and have them look at either the Highlander or the 4Runner. If an SUV is their desire, I cam promise you that the Toyota will be a better vehicle. When you get there look at body panel gaps compared to the Mercury, inspect the interior fit and finish as well. There is no favorable comparison, the Toyota is better. Also both Toyota products have more power available than the Mercury. The Highlander has a 225hp V6, the 4Runner gives a choice of 245hp(V6), or 282hp(V8). Try them your folks might like them, and the warranty is longer for powertrain than Mercury.

Not to be too nit-picky but it appears that the panel gaps on the vehicle pictured are not even in the area of the hood, the driver's side has more gap than the passenger side. It also appears that the door and body gaps are inconsistent particularly on the rear passenger side door where the opening meets the wheel arch. I know these may seem trivial, but if the manufacturer doesn't care to keep the quality control tight on sheet metal they also probably cut corners in other more important areas...

Typically a well crafted car like a Toyota, or Subaru, or Lexus, will display very even, tight panel gaps. You should be able to go around the vehicle and guage them visually or by marking the width with a business card (like the one the sales person will give you). If the car is done correctly just about all the gaps will have no more than about 1.5-2mm variation in them anywhere. On a Toyota or Lexus for example the gap will be the same on any door on the car, it will be the same for the hood, the trunk, the fuel door well you get the idea. By the way Subaru cars do pretty well on this test, but most Ford products do not. The worst I have seen recently is the new Chrysler 300, the hood not only had uneven gaps on either side, but the top of the fender line was 4mm higher than the top of the hood on the driver's side and level with the top on the passenger side. Yech! By the way when you measure the gaps with the sales person's business card you should get an interesting reaction, especially when you ask about the uneven finish of the car.

A Toyota salesman who knows his/her stuff should actually encourage you to do this test, because he/she knows very well that a Toyota plant is run very differently than a plant in Detroit. If an assembler spots a defect in a Toyota plant they stop the line and recieve a bonus, the engineers find out what caused the problem and fix it, if you tried that in Detroit you would most likely get fired. Ford reworks cars with defects, and fix the root problem when production allows. A different business philosophy results in a different product, but you already know that.

Archived