LegacyGT.com

Engine problem?

Omen

Okay a question for all you out there.. bare with my paranoia but when driving in any gear lets say 3rd, and you hold it at 3k rpms does the engine sound raspy or gargly? I know that is a weird way to desribe a sound but I can't think of how to describe it. Its in any gear when I hold it a 3k rpms or higher at a constant speed the engine sounds strange. Now I know that in the higher rpms the engine gets louder as it is opening up but I remember it being fairly quiet all the way up the rpms.

Now is sounds a bit more beefy but I don't know if it is just breaking in or if I broke something. I did put the AVO Filter in but didn't notice the sound till yesterday and I've had the filter for about a month.

Now this maybe normal but I've never heard it before. If I'm going through the gears I don't really hear it, it is only when holding it in the higher rpms. I hope that I'm just listening too much and that this is normal because it is very hard for me to bring my car to the dealer.

Sorry for the long post but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

FWIW, I have about 6K miles and I notice the engine being a bit louder than it was when it was "younger"....mostly though when I am at 4-5K rpms. Once, it seemed so loud that I really thought there was a problem and checked to see if I had busted a hole on the muffler or exhaust (though I think that might have had to do with snow or ice build up underneath). It's never been that loud since. The car runs as well as ever, though, so I doubt it is really anything to be concerned about.

Perhaps it has to do with your change of filter.

Does the car run any differently?

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

The engine is mostly quite up to about 3000rpm. Then it'll get a bit noisey and around 4500 should smooth out again. It has something to do with the AVCS and is completly normal. I wouldn't worry about your noise......unless it's painfully obvious that it's not normal.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Yeah that is exactly what it is doing. It gets loud around 3k and then smooths out until 4500 just like you are describing. And no it is not painfully obvious I have to listen for it but because I'm listening for it I notice it all the time. I guess it is normal. If it is serious it will only get worse I guess and then I can deal with it then. Thanks

Well still paranoid I looked in my engine bay to see if maybe there was something visible I could see that was causing this noise I am hearing and I saw that one of the screws holding on the engine cover was gone. I wonder if this enough to make the noise I was hearing? I went to the dealer and they will be ordering me another one but for now I took the engine cover off. I'll see if the noise is still there when I drive home tonight.

you can hear your injectors?...must be a direct injection 10,000 PSI setup you got there

Standing in front of the car, with the hood up and the engine idling, I can hear the injectors cycling. With the hood closed and at any RPM all I hear at that point is some turbo spool, some intake and some exhaust.

Is it constant now or still recurring intermittently. Think you mentioned that it "seemed" to have stopped. Guess at this point, any sound recording/clips of the noise that you're hearing might be helpful to have particularly if you're taking it to the dealer for a check.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well the problem I was having was not the injectors or ticking sound at idle. That is normal. I only hear the ticking when at idle. During normal driving all I hear is the turbo and the engine.

The noise I was referring to was a roughness at 3k in any gear but I think it is just the engine opening up as it should. Probably just regular engine noise as you get higher in the rpms the engine must get louder. I think it was just my paranoia.

All seems fine as my car runs great. Thank you for all your help everyone!

Archived