LegacyGT.com

Boost!....or lack thereof.

Hey guys,

I'm officially driving a car with a bit under 5 PSI of boost, due to some mechanical issue. Car feels sooooo slooooow.

The dealership tech (Rick Dell from KM Subaru; for those from San Diego) basically said it should be the 7-10 PSI range; and could be one of a couple of things wrong:

1- Bad Gas - Crappy Cali gas?

2- Bad turbo - carbon build up or impending failure

3- Melted cat - creating too much back pressure

There was no leak detected, so it isn't any boost leak. They put the car back together, and asked me to drive it until i can put enough new gas in. If there's still the problem; they're gonna yank the engine and exhast and put in a new cat and turbo to see if that solves it. Otherwise, no codes are being thrown.

Anyone else ever experience a problem like this? Anyone want to gander a guess what's happening here?

n3313950_41721980_2842.jpg.6f450458798b85f79a7eec10a9a0dc9a.jpg

n3313950_41721981_4567.jpg.b368dfcfe5dbc68ed1eee3134bf5d23a.jpg

Should be 7-10 psi!? You're kidding right, new GT's seriously don't have such low boost do they?

That's less boost than old GT's get of the bloody primary alone, my TT was boosting 14 on primary and 18 on secondary.

I have a lack of boost sometimes, one gear it pulls hard and next gear not so much. I think its my stock BOV cause when its cold it makes noise like its venting to the outside and sounds like its leaking when slightly warmer at boost. Then becomes quiet, but its still of suspicion. Anyone have this issue?

Stock GT's should boost at ~13-14 psi

yup thats about right. at stage 2 w/o turbo or IC upgrades peak for me is just over 15, with it staying at 14 most of the time and tapering to 13

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Stage 2 on a stock turbo with a perrin TMIC my peak boost is just over 19psi, tapering to 16psi at redline.

Wow 19psi is a lot for our little turbo...my protuned stg2 hits like 17psi, thats cause i told him to keep it conservative.

to the OP, theres no reason i can think of to replace the motor. It's gotta be some sort of boost control issue (vacuum line or electronic), plugged exhaust, boost leak, or something messed up with the turbo itself (very unlikely). If the pressure isnt even getting into the engine, why would you suspect that the engine is causing the low pressure? its retarded.

Wow 19psi is a lot for our little turbo...my protuned stg2 hits like 17psi, thats cause i told him to keep it conservative.

to the OP, theres no reason i can think of to replace the motor. It's gotta be some sort of boost control issue (vacuum line or electronic), plugged exhaust, boost leak, or something messed up with the turbo itself (very unlikely). If the pressure isnt even getting into the engine, why would you suspect that the engine is causing the low pressure? its retarded.

yeah, i'm thinking along the same lines. The master tech checked for boost leak and some other stuff. i'll keep people updated as the weeks pass.

• 2 weeks later...
Parts have come. Time to bring the car in tomorrow afternoon so they can fix wednesday and possibly for longer. BUT, the dealership isn't giving me a loaner. UGH...time to call SOA.

What parts did they get for it?

Archived