LegacyGT.com

Wagon stereo install problems

spartan

Well I got around to installing my stereo components in my Legacy wagon this weekend. The components I installed were as follows

-JL cleansweep

-Profile AP1040 amplifier

-Alpine SPC 600 6.5" components

-Pioneer 6.5" rear speakers

-MTX Thunderlink 10" powered sub

-4ga stringer power wires

After the install and cleansweep calibration I noticed that I am getting quite a bit of static or hissing coming from both the front and rear speakers. In an attempt to find what is causing it I did some trouble shooting.

-unplugged cleansweep from amp and "looped" an RCA cable to an input channel on the amp. The noise was drastically reduced.

-So I figured it would be coming from the cleansweep. I checked and saw some people having problems with the master volume control, so I unplugged the top portion from the cable. The noise was still present. I then unplugged the cable from the unit. The noise got much worse.

At this point I would like to see if anyone has any ideas as to what I should check next. My main problem is that I bought the cleansweep used, so if it is damaged I need to go back on the seller, because I don't feel like paying the $120 to fix it.

I have attached a really crude paint drawing of my setup hoping that will help in diagnosing anthing else I should examine.

Thanks,

Travis

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9121/stereofc3.png

Is the noise increasing with revs?

I had a similar issue with a RF 360. I ended up taking an earth from the HU to the 360 and to the amps. I then added a 4 gauge earth for the front and rear amplifiers (to a common point). The Sub amp also had the common earth HU-360-amps and a 4 gauge local earth.

This cleared all but a small level of interference. This is only detectable at very low volumes or between tracks.

Is the noise increasing with revs?

I have a noise like this on my aux-in - after putting an '07 HU in

my '06 and wiring up the aux-in jack. I'm quite certain it's simply

due to a poor connection where the aux-in harness plugs into the

back of the HU, because I can make the noise (and the actual signal)

come and go simply by slapping the side of the center console.

I'll fix it whenever I take the thing apart again to clean up my Sirius

Stratus hookup and add a heavy-duty always-on 12v outlet.

Anyhow, the similarity leads me to suspect your problem is simply a

poor connection. Hope this helps.

Yeah I tried to clean up the CS ground last night, didn't really do anything. I will probably try moving it around some more tonight. I also am going to try and get a better ground for the amp + sub as well. I am looking at the mtx re-q5 though, the more and more I look at the 5 channel amps the more I want one.

Tried all sorts of different grounds for the CS today. I did the same as the system, on a seat bolt, and a couple other locations and they all still had the speaker noise. I have recalibrated the system at volumes 15, 25 and 30 with no change in noise. When I hook up something directly to the amp, there is no noise. Am I safe to assume that there is something wrong with my cleansweep?

Ok sorry to keep bringing this up but it is driving me crazy. Tonight I decided to try and find the cause of my speaker noise once and for all. First I bypassed the cleansweep and hooked the amp up using line output converters, noise was still there. So I figured that it must be the amp causing the noise, so I hooked up a spare that I had. THE NOISE WAS STILL THERE!!! So now I can say that neither the cleansweep, nor the amp, nor the RCA cables are the problem. What is the next option to look for as a source of the noise??? I am thinking about getting some noise isolators either for the power wire of the amp or for the RCA cables.

1) Pull the rca out of the amp is the noise still there? Yes/No.

If Yes, it's the amp.

2) If No, plug the RCA from the processor1 to the amp into the amp but leave it unplugged at the processor1 end, is the noise back? Yes/No.

If yes, it's that RCA.

3) If No unplug the RCA from the processor2 to the processor1 and plug in the RCA from the processor1 to the amp, is the noise back? Yes/No.

If Yes it's processor1.

4) If No, plug the RCA from processor1 to processor 2 into processor1 but leave it unplugged at the processor2 end, is the noise back? Yes/No.

If yes, it's that RCA.

5) If No unplug the RCA from the HU to the processor2 and plug in the RCA from processor2 to the processor1, is the noise back? Yes/No.

If Yes it's the processor2.

6) If No, plug the RCA in from the processor2 to the HU but leave it unplugged at the HU end, is the noise back? Yes/No.

If yes it's that RCA.

7) If no, plug the RCA into the HU is the noise back? Yes/No.

If Yes, it's the HU.

8) If no, something wierd happend and the problem is solved.

If you have more than 2 processors in the chain then repeat steps 4-5 incrementing the processor number each time for each processor in the chain

That said, the RF 3Sixty I have does a similar thing, so much so that the stock unit is coming out and being replaced with a DD Sat Nav unit (Two sat navs for me now)

I get a processor type noise that is apparent with the 3sixty in the circuit but not out.

I found the best place to earth was the trans tunnel Handbrake bolts. I took the surface down to bare metal and used a 4 gauge cable to a dis block. That eradicated all but the smallest amount of noise, I get no electrical whine or static, but there is a very strange pulse noise that is noticeable. Get the best earth you can. Any paint/primer will negate the connection.

One thing that I did find was that the closer to the HU the 3sixty got, the worse the classic static type noise got.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to update this thread. I got rid of the cleansweep, and bought an MTX RE-Q5 in its place. The MTX unit is nice because I can use the stock volume knob, and it also has an aux input as well. I also noticed that the amount of bass that my sub it putting out has been increased. Overall I am very happy with the MTX unit, also it only costs $100 compared to $200+ for the cleansweep new.

Archived