LegacyGT.com

Coolant fan relay/ECU issue just...goes away?

maddoc

I need some sort of explanation here!

Let me expand on this a little more. I've owned the car a little over 2000 miles now. On Friday night I installed a set of WRX pedals onto the car. So naturally, I needed to unplug the gas pedal. Everything went fine, except that I forgot to plug the gas pedal back in (I didnt realize this until after I started my car Saturday morning). So I shut off the car, plugged in the pedal. The CEL did not go away, so I unplugged the battery for about 5 mins, hooked it back up and went on my way. drove the car a total of 80 miles the whole day, came home, parked the car in the garage...which is where we lead up to the first post.

On Saturday I experienced an issue with my radiator fan not turning off at all: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2291827&postcount=307

Today I made an appointment with Subaru for tomorrow morning. Now, the car has an AP, so I proceeded unmarry the AP so I could bring it to the dealership....

The run down; I connected the green plugs under dash, attached the AP to OBDII port and then proceeded to turn the ignition to the "ON" position. The car begins to go through cycles, clicking noises, then suddenly the radiator fan goes off. Then a few seconds later it goes on again... and continues this cycle for a little bit.

I immediately shut the car off. The radiator fan remains off. I unplug the AP and start the car...fans do not turn on again. I never unmarried the AP or anything, all I did was connect the test connectors and turn the car on, and the problem vanished...

Now... I'm confused :confused: Is my coolant fan problem solved? Or do I still need to bring it in? Did I just do something stupid in the course or installing pedals?

radiator fan realy arc'd and welded itself in the 'on' position

putting car in test mode makes the fans cycle. quick cycling of fan jarred the stuck relay loose. Fan stays off

This is why 24v systems are favored. higer voltage = lower amperage. Lower amperage = less arcing.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Good explanation. So, is the problem fixed? Or is the relay fried and I should be ordering a new one? Or do I need to order the fan relay in addition to another relay?

Edit: Well, just drove the car to work - the problem is NOT fixed. I let the car idle in my driveway for about 15 minutes, fans did not come on, after driving 25mins on the highway, I get into the city and at a traffic light, I hear the fans going...get to my parking garage, shut off the car -fans are running.

Instead of disconnecting the battery this time, I shut off the car, plugged in the test connectors and turned the car to "ON", let it run its cycle, it shut off the fans again. I shut off the car, unplug the connectors.

Basically - is this just a relay issue?

Well, the relay that is in there IS the new relay (car already had the recall done as far as I know). I pulled the relay the other night and noted the relay #s and the white dot.

So that's why I ask what might have caused the relay to arc this time...

Started there, left work, drove up to a dealership with one in stock and bought one...strange occurrence though - in the 40minutes of driving, the issue has not come back. When I got to the dealership I was expecting to hear the fans going, nothing. When I got back to work I expected the same...nothing.

Either way, I'm going to replace the relay tonight since I got it.

Archived