LegacyGT.com

Speedo off, change tire size to correct?

spartan

Well, I have noticed with my GPS that my car is consistantly reading 2-3 mph faster than what I am actually traveling. I am currently running stock sized blizzaks on 7.5" wide rims. What size tire would I need, to get the speedo closer to reading correctly?

2-3 mph at what speeds? It should be off by a percentage, not by a fixed amount at any speed. The relationship between tire diameter and speedometer reading is an inverse linear relationship, i.e., larger rolling diameter = reduced reading. Assuming there's a 2 mph difference at 60 mph, that is a 3.3% error, so aim for a tire diameter that is 3.3 % larger than stock.

Stock 215/45R17 has a rolling diameter of 24.6 inches. 225/45R17 has a rolling diameter of 25 inches, 1.5% more than stock. 215/50R17 has a rolling diameter of 25.5 inches, 3.5% larger than stock.

Thanks for clearing all of that up. Interestingly, it is not an increasing or decreasing percentage, it always appears to be 2-3 mph off. I have checked at 25 mph and 80 mph and it is always reading that little bit high.

Thanks for clearing all of that up. Interestingly, it is not an increasing or decreasing percentage, it always appears to be 2-3 mph off. I have checked at 25 mph and 80 mph and it is always reading that little bit high.

Then it's not your tire size. Stay w/ 215/45R17 and calibrate your speedo.

I have to say when I saw "speedo off" i had to check if it was in general funny or not. :lol:

how do you adjust for tire size on these cars? tuner have it? I've never looked very hard.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

orly.. then how is it the spec B has a larger tire diameter? Do they just sell spec Bs with incorrect speedos?

There has to be away to calibrate it.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Your speedo is likely performing according to factory specs. There's an EU requirement that prohibits vehicle speedos from displaying speeds lower than actual speed, so most manufacturers err on the side of caution by making the speedos read higher than actual speed. I surmise that the calibration for U.S. and EU metric spec speedos is similar. I'd recommend relaxing your sphincter and living with the discrepancy. ;)

I'd check to make sure your GPS findings are correct before swapping out your tires or recalibrating your speedo. Here in Alberta, the motor club has speedo test sections set up here and there. Measuring the time it takes to go a given distance will provide you with a far more definitive answer of your speedo's accuracy than what your GPS will.

Archived